Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Forced Induction/ Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Forced Induction/ Intake Question

I've read tons of posts about the whole aluminum intake and heat sink issue. I was wondering if it is indeed an issue, are their any problems on an intercooled turbo or supercharged car, or if the cooler, boosted air is enough to keep it from being an issue. I know this issue has been beat to death, but I haven't heard much about it in forced induction applications. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

The heat sink effect is probably one of the last aspects to worry about. Yes, aluminum transfers heat more and weighs more than plastic, but both considerations are very minor. The real question is whether the physical characteristics of the manifold such as runner length, plenum volume, flow, burst pressure, etc., match your engine combo. Out of all of these aspects, burst pressure may be the most important for forced induction depending on the application. Boost tends to mask flow and tuned runner deficiencies some, and only a few people truly run max-effort FI combos.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gametech
The heat sink effect is probably one of the last aspects to worry about. Yes, aluminum transfers heat more and weighs more than plastic, but both considerations are very minor. The real question is whether the physical characteristics of the manifold such as runner length, plenum volume, flow, burst pressure, etc., match your engine combo. Out of all of these aspects, burst pressure may be the most important for forced induction depending on the application. Boost tends to mask flow and tuned runner deficiencies some, and only a few people truly run max-effort FI combos.
QFT

you wouldn't have a problem running a i/c or no i//c even

theres more things to worry about in a turbo setup then thiis
Old 03-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the advise. I appreciate it.