General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

burning oil????

Old 03-30-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning oil????

changed my oil about 2 1/2 months ago and put a little under 3k miles on it since...

pulled out the dip stick today and noticed that the oil level was under operating level...u know where that checkered area is indicating the oil level should be within that range...well it was under that range by a quarter of an inch...

whats up with that? no visible oil leaks from where park at???
Old 03-30-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by toofless916
changed my oil about 2 1/2 months ago and put a little under 3k miles on it since...

pulled out the dip stick today and noticed that the oil level was under operating level...u know where that checkered area is indicating the oil level should be within that range...well it was under that range by a quarter of an inch...

whats up with that? no visible oil leaks from where park at???
So you're burning about 1/2 to 1 quart of oil every 3,000....not bad for a 1999 engine.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

In the checkered range is good. Reading might vary depending on how long it sat each time you looked at it and if the car was level for each reading. No leaks, no burning. I would just keep checking until you are convinced you have a problem. Look for oil residue in the tailpipe. If you have a bud, have him/her follow you while you romp on it to see if you are burning oil.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

OH F'ING A!! i checked it while it was back parked in my driveway!!!! thats what happens when u work 10 hours and have to take a **** but decide to check the oil before...
Old 03-31-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by toofless916
OH F'ING A!! i checked it while it was back parked in my driveway!!!! thats what happens when u work 10 hours and have to take a **** but decide to check the oil before...
The car would have to be on one HUGE incline for the oil to read 1/2 to 1 quart difference on a dipstick.

Next time you change your oil, do what I did. Add 3 new quarts only, then pull the stick out and file a mark at the 3 quart level, than add the 4th and mark it again, than add the 5th and do it again, than add that last 1/2 quart and mark where your FULL LINE is. This way you'll know EXACTLY how much your burning.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be losing some oil through the PCV valve. I would try putting in a catch can, that's what I'm doing on mine. Search the forums for "catch can" for more info.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

the driveway is steep...its like a 20 degree angle...

good idea quicken imma do that tomorrow...see i wanted to seafoam my car but now that i dont have the right amount of oil imma have to wait...doesnt make any sense to me to add new oil and have to change it out 100 miles later

Search this Thread