PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why does my car idle like this??

Old 03-31-2007, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why does my car idle like this??

I just had a mail order tune done, and the car idles weird when it will idle. Just wondering if you guys have any clues whats causing this. This is a cam and LT only car with a TSP 231/237 595 598 on a 112 lsa. Its a six speed. This is a cold idle, but it idles exactly the same when warm.

Just added a warm idle clip. What does everyone think??

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r...midle900-1.flv

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r...rent=idle1.flv

Last edited by Jasonscott; 04-02-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Default Huh!

Not to flame you dude , but its the cam ! You have a 112 lsa what are you wanting it to idle like?
Sound pretty tuff to me!
Old 03-31-2007, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jrp1978
Not to flame you dude , but its the cam ! You have a 112 lsa what are you wanting it to idle like?
Sound pretty tuff to me!
No offense taken. I know how a cammed car is supposed to sound, it just doesnt sound quite right to me, maybe Im just being to picky.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

So everyone thinks that this thing sounds right???
Old 03-31-2007, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Ah, yeah it is supposed to idle like that. If you wanted a smooth idle you should have went with a 114 or more LSA. Sounds good.

Brian
Old 03-31-2007, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Sounds fine! Listen to mine. 408 with a .646/.646 @110 LSA
Old 03-31-2007, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds just like my tsp 231/237. What rpm is the idle at, mine sounds best about 900.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

I posted in the other thread..

So me, it sounds like your timing is erratic at idle, like not all your timing tables are set at the same timing for idle, maybe your car is jumping from the base to high octane tables possibly.

I had a car I tuned do that pretty bad with a 240/244 112 cam when cold and I had to adjust all the timing tables to read the same at idle and adjust the over/under spark correction so it wouldn't move around so much. it sounded almost identical to your car in the video.

I Know numerous cars in my area with that cam and none of them sound like that.

just my .02
Old 04-01-2007, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris81
I posted in the other thread..

So me, it sounds like your timing is erratic at idle, like not all your timing tables are set at the same timing for idle, maybe your car is jumping from the base to high octane tables possibly.

I had a car I tuned do that pretty bad with a 240/244 112 cam when cold and I had to adjust all the timing tables to read the same at idle and adjust the over/under spark correction so it wouldn't move around so much. it sounded almost identical to your car in the video.

I Know numerous cars in my area with that cam and none of them sound like that.

just my .02
Thank you! Finally someone who hears what im hearing. I had a feeling it was maybe timing. The thing is the car would also do the exact same thing on the stock tune sometimes (mostly when cold) but when it was warm it would idle just like it was supposed to most of the time. You dont think it has anything to do with fueling, this thing seems excessively rich if I come to a stop at a light or something I immediatelly smell fuel coming into the car, I dont even have to sit there a while.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
Ah, yeah it is supposed to idle like that. If you wanted a smooth idle you should have went with a 114 or more LSA. Sounds good.

Brian
I love the chop of the 112 when its choppin right, Im not looking for a smooth idle, just want it to idle correctly.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

get all your high octane/low octane/base spark in neutral/gear to 1 set value.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
get all your high octane/low octane/base spark in neutral/gear to 1 set value.

Is this something that can be done with a mail order tune or do you need logging software and everything to do this. This was a mail order tune on the car right now, Im just wondering if I can explain this to the tuner and come away with good results, or should I just get tuning software and give that a try?
Old 04-01-2007, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok I have to admit I listened to the first 20 sec of the 1st clip... and I didn't listen to the 2nd one at all. It sounds good in the first 20 sec of the clip. Then the 2nd clip and the latter part of the first clip it sounds like my car w/o a tune before it is warmed up.

Mine isn't getting enough air on stock tune, yours may not be getting enough spark or it is idling too low. But I can hear what you are talking about after listening to the entire thing. I would check the wires and stuff just to make sure you don't have a miss from a plug wire first.

If you have a shop near you, just take it to someone experienced and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Brian
Old 04-01-2007, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
Ok I have to admit I listened to the first 20 sec of the 1st clip... and I didn't listen to the 2nd one at all. It sounds good in the first 20 sec of the clip. Then the 2nd clip and the latter part of the first clip it sounds like my car w/o a tune before it is warmed up.

Mine isn't getting enough air on stock tune, yours may not be getting enough spark or it is idling too low. But I can hear what you are talking about after listening to the entire thing. I would check the wires and stuff just to make sure you don't have a miss from a plug wire first.

If you have a shop near you, just take it to someone experienced and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Brian
Thats funny, I think a bunch of people have only listened to the first 20 seconds of the first clip! Thanks for the input, im gonna go check out all that stuff right now. I may have just noticed a small exhaust leak at my drivers side collector, not sure if that would cause what im getting, but Im gonna go fix it and see.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jasonscott
Thank you! Finally someone who hears what im hearing. I had a feeling it was maybe timing. The thing is the car would also do the exact same thing on the stock tune sometimes (mostly when cold) but when it was warm it would idle just like it was supposed to most of the time. You dont think it has anything to do with fueling, this thing seems excessively rich if I come to a stop at a light or something I immediatelly smell fuel coming into the car, I dont even have to sit there a while.
Its hard to say what the car is doing with a mail order tune and no logging. With more part throttle and idle tuning the car might not be as rich, but it is going to do it some with the characteristics of the camshaft. I would image your fuel trims and VE are out of wack contributing to it.

I immediately I noticed on the video the wild idle that DOESNT sound normal and the first thing I thought of was a timing issue because the car isn't surging like all the cars i've seen without enough desired (RAF) airflow. They usually have a wider gap of rpm since the pcm is searching for the idle. Your car has the idle, its just having a hard time controlling it.

My .02
Old 04-01-2007, 11:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds mean! I think you guys are a bit off, I don't really hear much deviation from what is allowed. After revving it fell back to idle relatively quickly once the throttle-follower's delay had expired and didnt have any overshoot.

Is there some problem you are having with it like excessive surging or stalling or do you just think it doesn't sound like you think it should?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

Well, for comparison, here is my stock bottom end LS1 with the TSP 231/237 112lsa cam at idle.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...231237idle.flv

Something sounds different.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Another thing to consider:

My car idles like that (put, put, put, put...) when the AFR leans out to 16:1 and higher. When the AFR is ~15.5:1 and under, it sounds more like the typical cam (potato, potato, potato, potato, potato...).

Search this Thread