Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

better ride??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default better ride??

Hi guys,

Right now I have the stock 16x8 chrome five stars on my 97T/A with about 7K on the tires. These wheels and tires are great but I was looking at some appearance changes and throwing some 15" prostars, draglites, or even convo pros on it. Looking to put 15x9 or 10 on the back and 15x5 or 6 on the front.

My question is with the increased side wall on a good street tire such as bfg's, etc. would this comfort the ride somewhat? I drive mine to work downtown every day and alot of the road I have to travel are old brick and will knock your fillings out with my current setup.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 03-31-2007, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

The Convo Pro comes in only a 4" wide front runner, and I highly doubt you could get 5" Weld rim to fit up front. I wouldn't want to daily drive on drag wheels, simply because the handling and braking suck.

What springs and shocks are you running? If you have the stock springs/shocks, upgrading the shocks to Bilstein HD's will help dampen your springs much better than stock.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tires can be very much a crap shoot. My new 19's, much stiffer springs, lower ride height and Koni shocks ride much better than my stock 16's and stock suspension/shocks.

Good shocks will make a bigger difference on your car than tires will.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

hey thanks for the info...I bought the car from the original owner and it had 125K miles...it now has 140K. I have all of the original documents on the car and all repair receipts but nothing on shocks or springs....yeah the car is real stiff and will bounce you around some on these roads.

Suspension wise the car has a hotchkis PHB and that's it. Anyone recommend a good shock for the street and on a budget? I will look at the Bilstein's as recommended.

Thanks
mike
Old 04-02-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

It depends if you plan to lower the car or not.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

leaving it the stock ride height.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Regular Bilsteins will work well for the stock springs. The factory springs are pretty soft as is, so with good shocks the suspension should ride very smooth. Then it's down to the tires. How they are made and the pressure you run them at will be the determining factors.

I'm not familiar with the drag oriented wheels and the skinny fronts so I can't help you there. Assuming the new tires are not too stiff it should ride like a caddy.

Quick Reply: better ride??