Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60e warranties?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4L60e warranties?

Does anybody carry a 4L60e that's warrantied for more than a year? I mean, if a company has faith in their product, surely they'll put more warranty than that on it. It's like the companies keep pushing their product, but don't want to stand by it long enough to matter.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well a years warranty is a pretty long time for a hi performance application that might get beat to death 7 days a week and run 20 passes a weekend to boot on top of that with a 250 shot lol and yes there are people who do just that all year long , Nothing is indestructable. And companies do have to balance things out , And yes I know there are those who only drive the car on weekend and probaly dont put 5000 miles a year on them , But the manufacturer of the trans has no way to differentiate between the two. Im not aware of any reputable company offering more than a year and in fact many dont even offer that I have noted. And many even though they do have many conditions built in. examples.(hard parts excluded,and the famous abuse clause) so even then you must beware, 1 YEAR is a reasonable warranty on a high performance product, I remember when I was KID hot rodding and I tore my car up several times and the garage charged me every time and it was fustrating but then the owner/ mechanic summed it up and it stuck with me "You want to play you gotta pay speed is money, now how fast did you want to go?"People spend 1000s on turbos and heads and NOS, stoker cranks etc and a transmission or rear end though not as much fun is just another part of it. Reality is hot rodding cars and constantly striving to go faster is going to break parts Trans, rear ends, hell I broke the unibody on my 91 GT mustang I used to have AND It never drove right again which is why I dont have it anymore. Just my two cents for what its worth .
Frank at PerformaBuilt

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 04-01-2007 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see what you're saying. I guess like I said before, I want to be convinced. I've seen so many 4L60e's crap out locally. Built ones. Stock ones. It just seems they all go on LS1 applications. If I pay that kind of money for a tranny, YES I want to be able to rag on it whenever I want. I want it to last for years with minimal rebuilding. I know clutches wear. But when I see stuff breaking because of mostly the high RPM applications of the LS1, I get worried. I want to go 4L80, but that's so much more money that I want to be sure it's the right thing. Especially when I see transmission sponsors saying their tranny will hold.

It's just that it's a big purchase. Heck, I only hit the track 2-3x/yr. But I drive it like it's an LS1... not my Accord. And since tranny builders know it's going into an LS1, I can't see why they have a problem making a tranny to hold. With the 4L60e being such junk, why can't a good company like Performabuilt (whose efforts on this board are VERY impressive) carry the 4L80e?

And when talking 4L60e, it seems the LT1 crowd has much less problems than the LS1 crowd, and all I can attribute that to is the higher RPMs that we run our LS1 cars at.

Just wanting to be convinced, man. That's all.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I do understand your perspective on it , But when it comes to warranties all that has to be figured into the bottom line $. The profit margin on these trans is actually quite low as Im sure any sponsor will tell you and they are not lying , Everyone yes wants the best quaility and we as I sure the other sponsors do ,Do our best to make sure we use only the latest and best parts and mods we have learned or that are available , But at the same time we as they do have to be competivley priced also and at the same time remain profitable. You have to be able to figure in a certain percentage of CBs over a certain time and figure those in to cost because no matter what they are going to happen, It not nessesarily the plight of just the 4L60E but of any trans, I can say that if you could se the real numbers on this board there are far more people who are happly running 4L60E trans for long periods than not, However and I have stated this before people who do not have problems do not post, Why would they? Honestly the general rule in this bussiness is no news is good news happy customers are the ones you never hear from again. This stands true in the entire automotive industry for the most part unless they have another car they need something for or if there purchase does well enough long enough before it dies that they are satisfied they got there moneys worth. But at anyrate the appearance that 4L60E trans are junk and do not hold up is deceptive for this very reason the only people talking are the ones who have a problem. The other 95 percent are just happly driving along , You have to think this board has 1000s of members and the majority do have automatics from statistics,yet you see compartivly only a few post a week for a broken trans and this counts for the manuals too. Simple this is a tech forum people post here just like they go to a shop in your town because they have a proble other wise they wouldnt post at all.
As for why we do not carry the 4L80E presently Though we do plan on it in the future there are issue we have to work through , Shipping these require freight not ground, Cores because we do not requre a core we must have and adequate core supply for these which we have not worked out as of yet, Storage of units and cores is and issue while we do have a relativly large facility honestly our 2004r, 4l60e, H400 and th350 have our facitlty no so much in production but from a storage standpoint near capacity since we do not leave our cores out doors in the rain ect,
I hope this helps with addressing your concerns ,

Call 888-744-6542