Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

error 8012 the device is not open

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 01:00 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default error 8012 the device is not open

i got a brand new laptop to replace my old one that was in the car, installed my hp tuners on it today. bought a usb adapter to adapt the serial port cable to the usb port on my laptop. when i try to connect hp tuners i get that error, followed by the hp tuners one saying it can't connect. the usb adapter driver is installed and working. i even brought the usb cable back to best buy and got another one, same problem. if i try to hit connect on hp tuners without the laptop even connected to the car or anything i still get that ******* error.
i sent an email to support@hptuners.com but i was hopign someone in here might have had this happen before and can help. car is stuck in the garage loading up on fuel bad after the new external pump setup i just put on that flows alot more, need to tune it asap.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:13 AM
TECH Junkie

The first thing to check is that you are trying to connect through the correct serial port number. The USB-to-serial port adapter translates the USB into a quasi-serial port number. For example, mine uses serial port 4. You can check this by going into Settings-Control Panel-System-Hardware-Device Manager.
Just a thought.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:22 AM
TECH Addict

You need to tell HP tuners which port to use - I assume your new laptop does not have a serial port?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Motorboater

kool aid i don't see how to do that in the device manager?

daddyss-how do i tell hp tuners which port to use, i don't even know how to figure out which port is the right one or whatever. no, my laptop has no serial port or i wouldn't have gotten an adapter, etc.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Darn, caught me being lazy. Assuming you are running XP, when you go to Device Manager, select Ports (COM & LPT). Only if your adapter is plugged in, of course. You should see "USB Serial Port (COMX)" where X is the COM port that XP is using for the USB adapter.
In LT1Edit, I have a Settings menu iterm that allows me to change the default serial port to the appropriate number.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Motorboater

i don't think hptuners has that menu where you can change to the appropriate number, i'm still waiting on some kind of response from them to help on this. i don't have the cable with me at work, but i know what you are talkign about, i went to that on my PC last nite to make sure the usb adapter was showing up in the port menu and the driver was isntalled, etc.

Quick Reply: error 8012 the device is not open