General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Almost got in a huge accident

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Almost got in a huge accident

I was driving to school yesterday afternoon on 101 on the central coast of CA at around 80 mph. Out of nowhere pops out a small white dog like a poodle crossing the highway. I reacted by swerving out of the way to the left then back to the right. My car started fish tailing and i caught it but slid for a good amount of time to about 25 mph, with traffic coming behind me pretty fast so i dropped down to second and hit it to avoid getting hit from the rear. I was pretty calm and didnt even stop which really surprised me but my question is could the slide have done anything to the car? I drove the rest of the 100 miles with no problem and the car feels fine but is there anything that i should check?
Old 04-02-2007, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure it's fine as long as you didn't hit anything.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice save just make sure you didnt damage any tires other than that be thankful u didnt wreck
Old 04-02-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they are Camaro's they are meant to avoid ****.lol good drivin'. I've done that, had a kid fishin' by a bridge and decided to jump out in front of me. started to swerve to avoid him and started to fishtail. i was going 65-70 mph. had it almost totally sideways and got it back under control. Stopped and turned around and talked to the kids parents. Chewed some ***. he didn't even look until the last second. i missed him by 10 feet maybe... his parents got mad at me. Said i was in to powerfull of car and that it was MYfault. He came outta nowhere from outta the ditch. i was pissed and told them if it wasn't for my car their kid probably would have been dead as it handles very well. GRR. it get's the bloos pumpin though. As to answer your question, it shouldn't have hurt anything unless you hit somethin'...
Old 04-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Launching!

If it's running fine then you shouldn't worry.

I had an automatic camry. Someone pulled out in front of me and I locked up the brakes. I stopped short of t-boning them by about 6 inches. Later when I tried to drive the car again, the shifter wouldn't come out of park. It turns out that I broke the brake light switch.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

damn i bet your heart was racing. Yea dude im sure nothing is wrong with the car. Just check the tires and make sure you didnt take a chunk out of one
Old 04-02-2007, 07:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
his parents got mad at me. Said i was in to powerfull of car and that it was MYfault.
I hate parents like that. The type that think their children are never wrong, because to admit the kids did wrong is like admitting that they, as parents, haven't taught their kids properly...and they take offence to that rather than trying to correct it. Then, instead of taking the time to properly teach their children to NOT create a situation like that next time (don't jump into traffic), the lesson is lost and the kids think they can do no harm.

Had I done something stupid like that as a child, my father would wacked me good on the ***, then made me apologize to you for the trouble.

Stupid parents = stupid kids = scary world to live in 20 years from now.

BTW, glad that neither of you guys had a wreck.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah i hate to see all these wrecked f-bodies lately sad it is... I'm glad i didn't wreck but it was a close call. I'd rather have wrecked and not hit the kid though. i mean accidents happen, but thank god i was able to tame the beast at that particular time and came out without any damage. I was irritated with the parents but they are ignorant and didn't want to admit their fault or their kids fault's. It's something they'll have to live with later on. ~Cole~
Old 04-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I hate parents like that. The type that think their children are never wrong, because to admit the kids did wrong is like admitting that they, as parents, haven't taught their kids properly...and they take offence to that rather than trying to correct it. Then, instead of taking the time to properly teach their children to NOT create a situation like that next time (don't jump into traffic), the lesson is lost and the kids think they can do no harm.

Had I done something stupid like that as a child, my father would wacked me good on the ***, then made me apologize to you for the trouble.

Stupid parents = stupid kids = scary world to live in 20 years from now.

BTW, glad that neither of you guys had a wreck.
Let's fast forward two years...
We find our young, un-disciplined friend in a Honda civic/leafblower hybrid dodging in and out of traffic and risking everyone's life everytime he touches the gas pedal or turns the wheel.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Launching!

yea i almost nailed a kid in my mustang once.... probably 3 years old, playing with a basketball unsupervised. i had noticed my brakes getting mushy the day before, but i figured it wouldnt be a problem. i was going 45 mph, the speed limit and the kid darts out in front of me about 120 feet ahead. i stomp the brakes to no avail, so i throw on the e-brake and skid for about 90 feet. as i gradually come to a stop,i throw it in neutral, get out of the car and grabbed the kid and his ball. went up, knocked on the door, and told the dumb sumbitches to watch their kid. i left a pair of 50 footers as i left cus i was so pissed.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya checked the tires and everything seems to be alright so i think that i escaped anything bad, im glad that i was paying attention and wasnt zoned out at all which sometimes happens on long drives and im glad u didnt hit that kid as that would have been tough to deal with no matter whos fault it was
Old 04-03-2007, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea these cars are used to drifting lol
Old 04-03-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

That is what the car was made for. If you didnt hit anything it should be fine
Old 04-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=98camaro1le]Out of nowhere pops out a small white dog like a poodle crossing the highway.[QUOTE]

That woulda been one dead-assed dog if I were you...
Old 04-03-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

i had a close call like that to i was on I-95 coming home from orlando and a hemi charger pulled next to be at about 85 MPH so i dropped it into 2nd (automatic) and usually the automatic doesnt shift untell it feels its ready you know? well my tires came brand new like this TTTTTT tread wise and when this happend they were like ____ so im guessing there wasnt enough traction for the tranny to deside to keep it high and it down shifted me at 85 to 2nd, well i fishtailed for what seemed like hours and i did my best not to lose it and i ended up correcting it after about 10 seconds AND I RODE OUT ON HIM lol, SCARY THOUGH!!!........... your car should be fine just check tires for bald spots or chunks
Old 04-04-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Car is fine. Just get some decent tires. Stock tires on these cars suck.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Anythying else you should check? I'd check my pants first thing