Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOT A CAR guy, considering a serious trike project...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOT A CAR guy, considering a serious trike project...

im looking to build a trike with a transversely mounted ls1. i know it sounds excessive, and thats the point. the theme is muscle trike, but built for psycho circle burnouts and lots of drifting fun, sort of like a canam spider on steroids.

im VERY aware of how long it would take and how it would be a custom job from the ground up, but im working with a few people that know enough about fabrication that we should be able to pull it off.

my question is concerning a transmission that would be able to take the 3-400 hp the motor generates. ive done rough calculations and the trike would hopefully weigh in around 800-1000 lbs, im planning on it being minimal and as small as possible, so i think that might help the transmission situation out a little in terms of stress. ive been reading about v8 fieros extensively, but am curious if there are any other MANUAL transmission that might be up to the task, and will bolt up with an adapter plate and minor modification. the only thing ive been able to find that is production and modern are the transmissions they are bolting up to the 5.3 impalla ss and grand prix.....those motors are putting out somewhere around 300 hp, except they dont make them in manual that i can find, and i get the impression it would be close to impossible to convert an automatic to manual....but i never say never, any ideas about that would be great. maybe they sell a manual version in other countries, or ultra limited....

the only other modern transmission i can find that on paper seems like its POTENTIALLY up to the task is the tranny out of the new pontiac g6, link to one on ebay below.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PONTI...em320098807000

can anyone here give me any information about them.....obviously if i could get a comparable motor/tranny that are built to run together i would, but im not building the trike unless its a v8, and obviously i can go with a fiero tranny, but im looking for an easier option if there is one. any idea tips or info would be great. im working on some crude mockups in adobe, ill post them once they look like a 5 year old didnt do them.

Last edited by TRANSVERSE; 04-02-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Teching In

i was just reading about the TAPshift feature on the pontiac 5.3........maybe this would work afterall, anyone have any firsthand experience driving one of these?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if your going to use a Fiero for the donor find one that has been in a front end collision. I hate seeing my babies chopped up.

In all seriousness though you can use the auto tranny and shift it manually. Just pull it down into 1st and leave it there untill you want to shift to 2nd,then bump it to second. . . . . . I bet your gonna have a hard time keeping the front tire from skidding trying to do a burnout.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Teching In

i dont think id buy and entire fiero for a transmission, hahahah. its the only part id be using really...

the front tires, well with something like 70-90% of the weight over them i dont think it will be too hard, hahahahah

so i guess no one wants to get into answering my complicated and too odd questions.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The V8 swaps are using the Getrag HM 282s in either the 4 speed or 5 speed version. You can get them out of a FWD Chevy Crapalier, or Beretta, and mod them a bit and run them in rwd configuration.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Teching In

apparently you guys arent getting this, the trike motor is going to be transversely mounted between the front wheels, just like a fwd shitbox, EXCEPT its going to run a chain to an axle that runs another chain to the rear wheel. simple and effective.

i know you can run those transmissions, but would they hold up to 3-400 hp?
Old 04-03-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why not just buy a Boss Hoss trike and be done? This will prob cost you way more money than one of those.

http://www.bosshoss.net/view_bike.asp?x=BHC9502
Old 04-03-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

oops never mind. I just figured out those Boss Hoss bikes for for +$40k

Good luck with your project.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Teching In

what is not comming through about the tranverse thing here?

no twist, just like a regular motorcycle. and theres no way this is going to cost anywhere NEAR what a big fat boss hoss would, plus its a reverse trike.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Default Suggestion

why not just buy this and swap out the hemi for an LS1?

http://es.motorfull.com/wp-content/u...trike_hemi.jpg

either that or figure out how they made the t-rex trike/thing and see if their is a way to mount a ls1 in one of those.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TRANSVERSE
EXCEPT its going to run a chain to an axle that runs another chain to the rear wheel. simple and effective.
How are you going to run a chain off of a transaxle with 2 outputs?
Not to mention 300 ft lbs of torque through a chain running under your *****.
Wouldn't it be easier putting the powertrain in the back with 1 wheel up front?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you guys arent getting it.. he is building a trike with ONE wheel on the back, TWO in the front.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

I'm pretty sure thats the same thing as a t-rex their darth maul.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
you guys arent getting it.. he is building a trike with ONE wheel on the back, TWO in the front.
I understood what he was saying.
I just dont know how he is going to run a chain off the FWD transaxle.
Then I mentioned it would be easier to run the traditional trike format.
I know a guy who built a trike(2 front 1 rear) sand buggy, with a 750 gsxr motor.
I would be interested in seeing how the chain is run.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:56 AM
On The Tree

Lightbulb Idea...

Why not use one of those FWD trans from the Caddy eldorados, or Oldsmobile toronados? They may be a little bulky, but plenty strong.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Check out V8archie.com. I know that he makes a kit for mounting up the G6 6 speed to a SBC. The G6 tranny uses a dual mass flywheel, and has the input shaft set inside the bell housing quite a bit to accommodate it. It is stronger than any of the Fiero issue trannies...

As for how to run the chain, it is simply a matter of welding up the diff in the tranny...
Old 04-04-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepinpete
As for how to run the chain, it is simply a matter of welding up the diff in the tranny...
Yeah I guess you could do that.
Then run a short axle with a sprocket on it, and plug the other axle hole so fluid doesnt pour out.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm gonna venture a guess here and say any of the transmissions mentioned above will hold up fine. Even though you have alot of torque and power, it doesn't take all that much torque to lose traction, so your tranny will be fine.

Heck, for something like that, you should try to run with no tranny. Just gear it like you're in 3rd all the time

Your trike will probably be at or under 1000 lbs. My 1700 lb Seven could really live with just 2 gears... 2nd and 4th are really all i need.

Quick Reply: NOT A CAR guy, considering a serious trike project...