Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Help

I have just installed Powerstop Crossdrilled and slotted rotors all the way around and Hawk HPS pad and ive notice that whenever I stop slow it make an annoying whine or squeking noise....It seriously pisses me off....I spent some good money on this set up and I personally think i should change out the pads. IF i stop fast though it doesnt make the sound but lemme know so i can get it fixed thanks a ton everyone!!!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cross drilled or slotted rotors can make a "whirring" noise when you stop. That's due to the holes and something you can't help. If it's a squeaking, squealing noise, you can try the anti squeak compound on the back of the pads, or put a very light layer of disc brake caliper lube on the back of the pads (where they touch the caliper). This will prevent the metal on metal grinding action that causes the squeaking sound. Just don't go overboard, we don't want to grease to melt and wind up on the rotors. A light layer is perfect.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

trackbird covered it, but I still have a question for you.
Did you follow Hawk's break-in procedure for their HPS pads?
Following the proper break-in will give you better braking and may lessen the squeak.