Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

positive supervision stories

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default positive supervision stories

since there's a negative one started, how bout a positive one? i've been in many a situation where i shuld've been buried alive, but my shop chief (TSgt) really helped out.

case-in-hand: was teaching a new recruit on an MHU-141/M trailer, pullin the bearings out, greasin 'em up, cleaning 'em, etc., showin him exactly wut to look for an all that stuff, when our flight Lt. comes in the bay an asks me where my goggles were at. at the time, i was usin a tube of silicone to lube up a tire for the rim, an i honestly didnt realize goggles were part of the required PPE for a freakin tube of lube. so, i told him that i didn't believe the goggles were required, so he asked me to get the MSDS as he walked in the NCO office an had a lil "chat" with my sup. and shop chief. long-story-short, i was supposed to get a DSV and an LOR, plus decert. on multiple things - such as the task i was performing, crew chiefing an operation, etc. ended up, my shop chief went to bat for me an i got an LOC that stayed in-shop i believe. was told later on that it was due to my shop chief goin up for me that i didnt get my lil wee-wee smashed. now, when my sup. gave me the LOC...well...that can be saved for the "nco power trip" thread

so lets hear 'em...i know there's gotta be some cool/interesting stories where supervision has really come to ur rescue!
Old 04-03-2007, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

Wow lucky you everytime I do something good its like, "good job get back to work" type ****. Once in awhile I am in a supervisory position and tell whoever thanks for helping out and buy them a soda. I have gotten people out of trouble in the past too. But I have been noticing that todays USAF is all about stabbing each other in the back and kicking people out type ****.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is why i love being the reserves now rather than being in the active army. The people are just so much more down to earth and everyone works much more better together and nobody is always up someones *** trying to make themselves look good to score a promotion. The NCOs including the senior ones will go out there and help out all the time and afterward buy the soldiers lunch and stuff like that. We get **** done in one weekend that it used to take us a month to get done in the active army. I have never seen **** get done so well in the army.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will, ur gay! Ive been in the Marine Corps. and now im in the Army, and everywhere u go ive noticed that u have ur good ones and bad ones. The thing i hate the most about a person in a supervisor position is inconsistancy, tries to be ur friend one minute and then wants to be a complete hard *** the next, when u f@#k up.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gyrene2003
Will, ur gay! Ive been in the Marine Corps. and now im in the Army, and everywhere u go ive noticed that u have ur good ones and bad ones. The thing i hate the most about a person in a supervisor position is inconsistancy, tries to be ur friend one minute and then wants to be a complete hard *** the next, when u f@#k up.
They are usually dicks around OTHER people, but cool privatly...that goes with everybody...
Old 04-03-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Splitz
They are usually dicks around OTHER people, but cool privatly...that goes with everybody...
Thats called brown nosing.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:29 PM
SCRWS6

That happened alot when we had guys get promotions, all of a sudden your in charge of the guys you were bullshittin with....whatever dude you were an E-4 yesterday.....
Positive supervision would have to be my first squad leader, was an ex sniper, really knew his ****, when we got our weapons cleaning done or whatever we had to do for the day we`d go home, he`d go to bat for you in a second and stand before the man the next. Alot of guys owe their lives and limbs to him in Iraq, he was a first rate NCO and an awesome human being, knew exactly where to draw the line between bullshittin and gettin the job done. he ended up getting injured and had to be medically discharged. I know this sounds like some corny *** sh#t but that was the best example of leadership I have seen ....ever
Old 04-03-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish I had some good stories.... Our leadership goes to bat for sure, I guess that can be a good thing, but when it comes to rewarding those that bust their humps no matter the situation, some of the worst, laziest people get the recognition for **** they don't even do.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gyrene2003
thanks sweetheart..

inconsistencies i believe are all across the board when it comes to branches. but yea, that stuff really really sucks when it happens. i've seen it happen to friends of mine, an its also happened to me. thats why, if God so chooses to bless me as an officer, i vow to exact justice upon injustice...to delineate right from wrong...to oust the imposters and promote the true image...the image....of a SPARTAN!!

sorry..that movie was really good.

its a shame to see that nobody really has any good, positive, uplifting supervision stories though. ever wonder why that is? that there's more negative than positive? i dunno..i'll let this thread sit a bit more, see if we can get some more stories.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camaroguy_02
since there's a negative one started, how bout a positive one? i've been in many a situation where i shuld've been buried alive, but my shop chief (TSgt) really helped out.

case-in-hand: was teaching a new recruit on an MHU-141/M trailer, pullin the bearings out, greasin 'em up, cleaning 'em, etc., showin him exactly wut to look for an all that stuff, when our flight Lt. comes in the bay an asks me where my goggles were at. at the time, i was usin a tube of silicone to lube up a tire for the rim, an i honestly didnt realize goggles were part of the required PPE for a freakin tube of lube. so, i told him that i didn't believe the goggles were required, so he asked me to get the MSDS as he walked in the NCO office an had a lil "chat" with my sup. and shop chief. long-story-short, i was supposed to get a DSV and an LOR, plus decert. on multiple things - such as the task i was performing, crew chiefing an operation, etc. ended up, my shop chief went to bat for me an i got an LOC that stayed in-shop i believe. was told later on that it was due to my shop chief goin up for me that i didnt get my lil wee-wee smashed. now, when my sup. gave me the LOC...well...that can be saved for the "nco power trip" thread

so lets hear 'em...i know there's gotta be some cool/interesting stories where supervision has really come to ur rescue!
You wouldn't happen to be an AMMO troop, now would you?
Old 04-04-2007, 03:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

...i guess worked T.M., Line-D., now PGM. also have augmented Storage during turbo-CAS and built up my fair share of chaff/flare and 20mm with Conventional.

i take it ur ammo too?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

That happened alot when we had guys get promotions, all of a sudden your in charge of the guys you were bullshittin with....whatever dude you were an E-4 yesterday.....[U]

Exactly you were an E-4 yesterday...... if you want to still hang out with your friends, no problem, but when it comes time for business then you better be able to put on a different hat. Its called tough love. Explain it to your friends and NCO & non-rates below you as soon as you make rank. If it comes time to choose someone for a **** detail and your old friends are always skating out of it then the other troops will take notice and soon the morale drops in your section/platoon/squadron what have you. You don't want to become the shitty Sgt that no one wants to work for or with because you play favorites...
Old 04-04-2007, 10:12 AM
SCRWS6

Hear that, most units swap you out with a different one now, to help promote that "I`m not a newbie E-5" syndrome
Old 04-04-2007, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FHAWK02
That happened alot when we had guys get promotions, all of a sudden your in charge of the guys you were bullshittin with....whatever dude you were an E-4 yesterday.....[U]

Exactly you were an E-4 yesterday...... if you want to still hang out with your friends, no problem, but when it comes time for business then you better be able to put on a different hat. Its called tough love. Explain it to your friends and NCO & non-rates below you as soon as you make rank. If it comes time to choose someone for a **** detail and your old friends are always skating out of it then the other troops will take notice and soon the morale drops in your section/platoon/squadron what have you. You don't want to become the shitty Sgt that no one wants to work for or with because you play favorites...
exactly what he said!! I hate hearing people cry about thier friend is a dick now at work cause he got promoted! Or even the whole " he got promoted and it went to his head" crap. fhawk02, i take it u are not an E-5. If u are i dont believe u would say something like that. What lower enlisted doesent seem to understand is that they are truley the ones who have it easy! Let me re-fraise that, you have it easier than NCOs and SNCOs. when u pick u those stripes, no matter what the branch, basically it just means now ur gonna get yelled at alot more and be exected to know the impossible at all times. Anyway, im done ranting, no hard feelings, were all brothers here!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^agreed. the more stripes u have, the more ur expected to know. the more u know, the smarter u gotta be about choosing who does wut and why.

i know the AF says that NCOs shuld not hang out with Airmen because of this very reason...yet that doesnt really play into effect with most people i know. i was pretty cool with my first sup. when i got to kadena - hung out sometimes, he lived right down the hall from me, etc. but when he's given me paperwork, ive had no hard feelings - well...other than the fact that i thought the reasons were retarded, but that was usually somethin even he culdnt control.

lower-ranking personnel really shuld understand the fact that NCO's are expected to live to a certain standard - no matter if it means dispatching their "friends" to accomplish a low-priority job.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:54 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Malicious
I wish I had some good stories.... Our leadership goes to bat for sure, I guess that can be a good thing, but when it comes to rewarding those that bust their humps no matter the situation, some of the worst, laziest people get the recognition for **** they don't even do.

So did you join the AF to be recognized or did you join to make a contribution to your country? I hear this all the time w/ the "new generation" and having to recognize them for their work. Last time I checked you are paid to do your job/serve whether that is going above and beyond the call of duty or not because that is what's expected of you as a member of the Armed Service! Don't get me wrong a pat on the back is "recognition" however expecting to receive awards because of whatever and not get it and cry about it because someone else less deserving in your opinion did isn't gonna cut it. Whether they deserved it or not really shouldn't be any concern of yours...you should just handle your business and mind your business and don't be concerned w/ everyone else. That's the problem right there.

I didn't come in to be recognized and to be perfectly honest I'd rather someone else get the attention as I'm here to do my job. Last time I checked there isn't nothing in the PFE that states "Airmen will be exepected to be recognized for doing their job" but what it does say is have a fair recognition program in place. My interpretation of that is I'm paid to do my job and not to be concerned w/ the recognition aspect because if it comes great and if it doesn't.....great. As long as I'm not signing LOC's etc I am doing my job...serving my country. Period. This me me me thing and the AF doesn't mix.

Do your job w/ honor and pride and let the rest handle itself. And for the record I haven't been recognized for doing my job and I'm perfectly fine w/ that because that's not what I'm here for. Does that make me a ***** bag? By todays standard possibly so. But do I honestly give a rats ***? NO! I know what I'm here for. Do you?
Old 04-05-2007, 04:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camaroguy_02
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

...i guess worked T.M., Line-D., now PGM. also have augmented Storage during turbo-CAS and built up my fair share of chaff/flare and 20mm with Conventional.

i take it ur ammo too?

Yup.... sho am. The MHU-141 was a dead give away. I'm currently Line-D @ Cannon. I don't think I know anybody at Langley that I'm aware of.

As far as the topic of this thread goes... can't really say I've heard of many "good" supervisor-to-the-rescue stories here at Cannon. I'm sure if Demon_Speeding reads this he can concur with me.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:05 AM
SCRWS6

SRZ
Many a time have I heard the generation gap thing...do your job quit griping....etc etc. But then you have the guys constantly telling you to watch your ***, make sure you get recognized, only you can take care of you....and when it comes time for promotions who is more likely to be promoted? the guy always quietly getting his work done? or the guy loudly proclaiming DAMN! LOOK WHAT I DID!
No argument, just how it seems to work lately. I love serving, not sure if I`m going to go for life or not yet. It just seems that more and more units give awards away for nothing, just so the number crunchers up top can say " we gave out 100% of the awards we were tasked to give" So all you have to do is Hey look at me! Bam you got an award.....
Old 04-05-2007, 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grave
...can't really say I've heard of many "good" supervisor-to-the-rescue stories here at Cannon. I'm sure if Demon_Speeding reads this he can concur with me.
Sad but true. My last sentence I served here at Cannon was much better. There were some quality folks here. Of course that's a generalization. There are a couple stand up guys left here. I know MSgt Thompson goes to bat for his people. He used to do it all the time for us when we worked in Control. Flight would start in on us and we'd never even hear about it, because he took care of it. He just stayed in his office with a true "open door policy" and didn't bother us as long as we were getting the job done, and done right. He took care of me last fall/early winter in Iraq too.

If any AMMO troops want to see a good supervisor, find out where (believe he's Chief now) Torelli is stationed and try to get orders there. Hands down one of the funniest, and best supervisors/shop chiefs I've seen in my tenure. Everything from telling OICs and Supers "No, my guys aren't doing that because it's f**king stupid", to throwing EET out of his area becuase it's time for shift change and it's been a long shift, and "My guys have busted thier asses today and built X number of bombs, they're not going to stay late and play your f**king silly *** inject cards." He loves the F word, every other word is that. Do your job, do it right and he'd fight any higher enlisted or officer for you without a second thought.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Demon_Speeding
I know MSgt Thompson goes to bat for his people.
Yeah, J.T. is good peoples.

Originally Posted by Demon_Speeding
If any AMMO troops want to see a good supervisor, find out where (believe he's Chief now) Torelli is stationed and try to get orders there.

Torelli... God damn ************....

Yeah, he was pretty cool. I worked with him during OEF @ Diego several years ago, and over at Guam when I was deployed there in '03. That dude cracked me up when he was pissed off at something. He's worse than the Tourettes Guy.

There was one AMMO chief that I knew that always stood up for his guys when we'd get **** on... and that would be Chief Fallen. I overheard him going at it with our commander at the time, who was a Major, about something. Can't remember what it was (because it was 6 years ago), but Chief was basically telling him that he can't just treat his people (by his I mean the Chief's AMMO troops) like ****. It was during my OEF deployment to Diego, and our CC was back at Barksdale. I can't remember what it intailed, but it was somjething about the AMMO troops that were currently deployed.. a personnel issue. Chief was just tearing our commander a new one over the phone. Us AFK'ers were just sitting in the next room, listening... and were like "Daaaaamn!"

So yeah, props goes to CMSgt Fallen for being a stand up guy for us Barksdale folks when he was there with us.