Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FMIC's..T/A no cutting bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FMIC's..T/A no cutting bumper

alright. I wanted to start this thread to get all of those people with 'under' mounted IC's meaning NON-CUT front bumpers/no license plate removed no fog lights removed.

I would like dimensions and pics if you have them. I'm wanting to place an IC around the air dam area like people have talked about. I don't mind cutting some of the under bumper if it acts as a support for the IC, just don't want to remove my license plate frame etc.

If anything I would like to get dimensions of what you are using, pics if possible and where you got if from (if you don't mind).
What i'm trying to do here is to see if there is a mass produced IC that would fit there that is a decent price..or if i should just have a custom made up, I have seen a lot of thesel; just want to get everything in one thread (at least try)
Old 04-03-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

look at pics of the hi-flow kit that never happend.. i think they do a horizontal intercooler.

also my intercooler requires no cutting of the front bumper, and is a production piece... but a/w.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You raise a good point, MM. I have heard that an a/w intercooler would not require the major surgery of the front bumper, but that a mostly street driven car would fare better with an a/a intercooler. Would you agree?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's mine. I fabbed up a new front cross member to support the IC. Core is 24x12x4 iirc. There is room for more.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I know this is not what you're interested in, but look at my sig.

I have two license plate covers, the one you see on there which acts as a grill, and the original one that I carry in my trunk... When I know I could control my right foot, I just drive with the original on and it looks like there is no FMIC there at all... When I know I'll be boosting, I put the one in my sig pic on and then have the benefits of a FMIC perpindicular to the ground.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
You raise a good point, MM. I have heard that an a/w intercooler would not require the major surgery of the front bumper, but that a mostly street driven car would fare better with an a/a intercooler. Would you agree?
a/a is cheaper, lighter, simpler, and does not work as good. you make the choice.

i personally do not suffer any consequences daily driving my car w/ a/w
Old 04-04-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

c'mon guys...i know yall are out there... where da others at who got IC's mounted by the air dam...etc..etc
Old 04-04-2007, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

I'm using ATI twin high-flows for now... I'll know if they become a restriction real quick when tuning next Friday. If it is, I'll probably go with a PWR 8"x10" A:W barrel intercooler or a cheap ebay same side inlet/outlet one. I like the barrel better because there's no turns the air has to take.

I won't cut my bumper, so A:A is really limited. (96 formula)
Old 04-04-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
a/a is cheaper, lighter, simpler, and does not work as good. you make the choice.
i personally do not suffer any consequences daily driving my car w/ a/w
Thanks for your response. You mention that your kit is a production unit. Any pics, web site, etc.? IMO, this thread is not as much about which (a/w, a/a) as it is how to intercool without major chopping of the front. I can't (won't) make any holes in my bumper. For my part, relocation of the battery to the rear is not an option, either.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Speed
Here's mine. I fabbed up a new front cross member to support the IC. Core is 24x12x4 iirc. There is room for more.

Those fans pushing or drawing? Draw I would think....since you'd want the air coming from up under the car and passing through it.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

i would reckon they are setup just as the radiator fans are... drawing. otherwise it wouldn't make sense
Old 04-05-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

the turbotechnology a/w intercooler from their race kit bolts to existing holes, and requires a simple cruise control box relocation. if you wanted to buy the rest of their a/w system the tank is also bolt in, but requires relocation (or using a smaller) battery and overflow tank, and drill a few holes to mount the water pump

http://www.turbotechnologyinc.com/turbosystems/ls1.htm

couple installed photos, follow this link
http://home.comcast.net/~deezuns/LS1_RACE.htm

also keep in mind that this i/c does a great job of supporting 1100+/- horsepower so an apples to apples would be finding an air to air with the same capability
Old 04-05-2007, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah they draw the air through the IC. Always more efficient to pull that to push. IIRC, the fans are something like 900 cfm so I figuring I'm getting about 1300-1500 cfm through the IC sitting still. At least that much with the radiator fans running and the air dam pushing air up through the back of the IC. Minus artificially cooling the coolant in a A/W setup with ice, the flat mount with fans running seems to work as good as any front mount or A/W setup I've tested.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks, MM. The tank location has always been the issue for me, since it seems to require the battery to be moved. If a smaller battery could be used (Optima?) that would be a viable solution. HP goals are not an issue for me, since I will never be anywhere near the top. Stealth, however, is extremely important. My car looks, and will continue to look, completely stock, almost like a V6. Again, thanks for the response and the links.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

What do you guys think, how well would an a/a vertical mount intercooler (like the one from trt) running twin puller fans (or even twin psuhers on the front) work. i dont want to chop up my front and i dont want to remove the licence plate cover or fog lights.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a slightly off topic question for you guys. I'm wanting to make a front air dam which would greatly restric air flow under the front of the car. Would mounting fans in this manner:

and having them wired to come on at the same time as the factory fans be adaquate for cooling a fairly stock powered engine?

The other thought was doing a front breather conversion or maybe some kind of scoop that lowered down at a certain speed.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

I was thinking of mounting a a/a angled down and cutting out a portion of the bottom of my nose and adding a small air dam to direct air to the intercooler. I was also going to use the fog light holes and some el cheapo dryer ducts for more air.That is just an idea and I don't know how well it will work,but that is what I was thinking of doing.That flat mount looks pretty good though.I have a 96T/A and would have a hard time cutting the front end up. Most of the pics of Lt1 T/A's that are cut look pretty crappy,but ls1 cars look pretty clean with open front.

Last edited by 1luckeyt/a; 04-26-2007 at 04:09 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-26-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

I like the air dam idea, as well as the fans. I would just turn them on when the car is running, and be done with it. The only down side is that the FMIC flow rate is variable. The faster the car goes, the more air flows across the fins. The duct idea would help to narrow the gap. What about some type of ducting on the underside of the car? Since I have a Formula, I don't have the holes from the running lights.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what I did a while back, works for me. Built to take place of the air dam. Not any lower than the deflectors on the procharger coolers.

Here are a few shots prior to the ends tube installation.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

**** TRIPLE intercoolers!! What are your IAT's, any lose in pressure??

Quick Reply: FMIC's..T/A no cutting bumper