Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD or MAF for my set up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SD or MAF for my set up?

My mods are in my Sig. I have heard that big cam cars work better with a SD tune. Right now I am running on the MAF. which one will get me more horespower ???
Old 04-04-2007, 12:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

from what ive read/been told is that SD will NOT get you more power, but make what power is there useable. it depends on a lot what cam you decide to go with.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

anyone else????????
Old 04-04-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only true reason to go SD is due to the intake airflow reversion, typically with large cams with positive over lap. SD vs. MAF gains no extra power if both are tuned properly. I have tuned some cars with a T-Rex, and similar cams, with the MAF and those run beautifully and make good power.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Generally speaking, a SD tune is good for cars that run under a fairly definable set of conditions. If you drag race and go to the local strip all the time, a SD tune is very predictable for you, also, if all you do is tool around San Diego, except on rare occaisions, it will work very well. Many with Boosted engines running 2 bar and 3 bar also find it easier to tune their cars using SD. A MAF tune uses severl sensors in defining conditions. This works very well for road racers, autocrossers, canyon runners and people who drive up in the mountain regularly. Again these are generalizations but pretty well sum up the diffenences.

As to a big cam, remember, the Corvette C5R and C6R use a MAF and develop 875 hp before the engine is restricted for ALMS racing.

By the way, the C6 Z06 MAF will support 2 bar, maybe that is preparation for the 6.2L supercharged version.