Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 oil pressure/coolant temperature

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 oil pressure/coolant temperature

I posted this in the LS7 section with no responses so I moved it over here - hope someone can give me some confirmation:

Our LS7 is running really good (in the garage anyway). For oil pressure I tapped into the aluminum piece above the oil filter you can take off. With the engine warmed up I have 45-55 psi oil pressure idling. When I flip the throttle and the rpms jump to 3000 - 4000 the oil pressure jumps to 90 or 100 psi temporarily then settles down to 50 - 60.

Part II - the Big Stuff 3 ECM indicates the engine temperature is 220 degrees which I think it about right for this engine to operate. Can someone confirm. The wrinkle is the Autometer gage is plumbed into the other head in the exact same hole (because the heads are "flipped" this hole is at the back of the engine) but the gage reads 185. Is this normal?

Auto Meter Ultra Lite mechanical gauges brand new.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea what oil pressure the LS7's usually run, but the coolant temp difference might have something to do with air pockets in the coolant passages in the heads. Do you have the steam vent tube(s) hooked up? If not, one sender might be covered in coolant and the other might be reading steam.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the vent is hooked up. What is the coolant flow path through the engine? If it comes in via the thermostat housing into the right hand head then through the engine then through the left hand head and then out to the raditor it could be temperature variation. The left head is getting the first crack at the cool water and by the time it leaves up front by the right head where the OE temp sensor is it may be hottest.