Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

GM LS7 Cranks, balancing with steel rods

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM LS7 Cranks, balancing with steel rods

Looking for folks that have successfully balanced a stock GM LS7 dry sump crankshaft using aftermarket steel rods and forged pistons. How hard was it? The crank I have in hand already has two slugs of heavy metal in the front counterweight area, so not so clear as to whether there's even room to put more. A local shop to me has tried this in the past but could not make it work. I'm on the fence whether to buy ti rods, or sell the crank and buy an aftermarket unit.

Speaking of aftermarket cranks for the LS7, WHO offers them now? Callies? Eagle? Difference from the LS2 cranks being the extra snout material to drive the two stage oil pump.

Thanks.
Mark
Old 04-04-2007, 03:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mean 69
Looking for folks that have successfully balanced a stock GM LS7 dry sump crankshaft using aftermarket steel rods and forged pistons. How hard was it? The crank I have in hand already has two slugs of heavy metal in the front counterweight area, so not so clear as to whether there's even room to put more. A local shop to me has tried this in the past but could not make it work. I'm on the fence whether to buy ti rods, or sell the crank and buy an aftermarket unit.

Speaking of aftermarket cranks for the LS7, WHO offers them now? Callies? Eagle? Difference from the LS2 cranks being the extra snout material to drive the two stage oil pump.

Thanks.
Mark
We have had it done before. John's machine balances all of our cranks.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

My guess is that you'd need a lot of extra metal! I've bought Callies cranks and billet Ti rods. The cranks come rough balanced for Ti if you give them an approximation on weight. Order them with an ls1 snout and reluctor ring.

Boosted.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on the steel rod weight it will run $350-450 to balance a LS7 crank.