Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vavletrain tick

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default vavletrain tick

got a 2002 ws6 with 32k on it when i bought it with 28k it had no tick ran it hard for 2 days then developed a tick when cold start so came on here searched seen that it was common. then bout 1k later tick started to stay after running temp. i let it go cause it was quiet and still ran good. now 3k later its real dominate here it in my car with windows up. sounds like #2 lifter.
changed my oil the other day and put in royal purple. now its even louder to the point when i drove it home after the oil change i did a nice tire stand now its clacking damn loud. so im gonna rip into it and replace the lifters. so my question is what all do i need? and what should i go with i know i could do some researching on here and probly find it out myself but i don't have a computer. so im limited on time. prices would be nice also. Can i do a cam swap without pullin the motor?
Old 04-04-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

You can do a cam swap w/o pulling the motor... Just pull everything off the front.

Radiator W/ fans, water pump, crank pulley, timing chain cover, oil pump then timing chain. TO acess the valve springs, Remove coil packs, valve covers then rockers and it's all yours.

Just to be sure it's a lifter, pull the connector off the suspected cyl coil pack (might set a check light, disconnect batt for 5 sec to erase it). if the tick/knock goes away, then it 'might' be a rod bearing.. (not good)... You can also tell by the speed of the tick. if it's fast at idle, it's in the bottom end. If it's slower, then it's in the valvetrain.

You'll need to pull the heads to get the lifters out tho.. =\.... Check www.installuniversity.com for a h/c swap guide.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

its slow at idle then when rpm's go up its rythem picks up definetly vavletrain. and another ? i was readin i can get a thiner head gasket for more comp what gasket does that for me. so if i gotta pull the heads i need new bolts. so so far i need head gasket, valve cover gaskets, head bolts or you think i should go studs? , lifters. any buddy got opinions on brand's?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

I'll let the more experienced correct me on this one. The Cometic (sp?) is .040. The stocker is .056 I believe. I don;'t think you will pick up much out of a thinner HG, but what'll it hurt while you're in there... Oh, Buy new head bolts too. You can't reuse the stockers.

Doing an oil pump and timing chain while you're in there too?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

not doin cam just gonna do vavle train
Old 04-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

i have no idea whats is in this stock. just wanna get a nice set of hyd roller lifters and stock push rods and maybe a 1.7 rr's but i need part numbers i need someone to point me where to go i have no idea on these lsx engines.