Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Detail: 2001 NBM Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Detail: 2001 NBM Trans Am

Well I decided to deep clean the whip today since its finally over 50 degrees. Just snapped a few pics to show my results. Menzerna and Porter Cable FTW!

Process is as follows:

Wash with Meguiars Gold Class
1. Spray down entire car to remove loose dirt etc.
2. Use lambs wool mitt to wash ONE panel at a time, top to bottom, staying
above the door molding line (its dirty down there ). Be sure to use
the 2 bucket method. (one for soap, one for rinse).
3. Spray off each panel with clean water after sponging.
4. Switch to another lambs wool mitt that you can dedicate to lower body
panel cleaning, and clean lower parts of car.
5. Using just a soft foam sponge, clean wheels with the remaining soapy
water.
6. Do a final rinse using a sheeting action, to reduce water spots (i
usually do 2 laps around my car, rinsing top to bottom.
Drying:
1. For drying I simply dry from top to bottom using a Meguiars waffle weave towel.
Polishing
*This next section will be more vague, as polishing is alot to explain. However, with the Porter Cable it is VERY simple.*
1. First you'll want to tape off anything non painted, as its fairly difficult to remove polish from plastic, rubber, vinyl etc.
2. Under a flourescent light (among the most harsh), I did a pass of Menzerna Final Polish II on a white (light cut) pad.
3. After doing so I wasn't happy with the results and could still see swirls, I then switched to a orange (medium cut) pad, paired with Menzerna Intensive Polish.
4. To remove polish, I used Meguiars microfiber towels that were folded such that the stitching was not exposed.
5. After observing my results, I decided that another pass of Intensive polish would be just about right.
6. Two passes of Final Polish II with a white pad followed the Intensive polish, and I could already see a huge difference!
7. Polishing removes wax, so you'll definately want to get some protection on your shiny new paint. Some choose sealants, but for me wax is just fine. I used NXT Paste wax, which is a synthetic wax. It will improve shine, protect, and fill VERY fine imperfections. Plus, it smells nice!
8. Remove wax with microfiber as well.
MISC Exterior
1. Next I clean glass. I really like "Sprayway" glass cleaner. It contains no ammonia, and seems to clean great. I use either microfiber or lint free cloths that I use to tint windows at work.
2. For my polished wheels, I use a method that some may agree or disagree with. I have been told that factory wheels are clearcoated, and thus should be treated just a clear coated paint. With that being said, I polish my wheels with Meguiars Scratch-X, and a Mothers Powerball. Produces a great shine.
3. For tires, I have recently been using Armor All brands gel tire black. It applies with a sponge applicator that will come with the product. Despite the Armor All brand, I really like this product. Looks good, lasts, and doesnt fling off like some tire dressings do.
4. For polishing my exhaust tips, I usually just hit them with some Mothers metal polish paste by hand.
Interior
1. Remove all floormats, sunglasses and whatever trinkets you may have.
2. Vacuum seats (even leather), carpet, nooks and crannys first, as it will create dust.
3. Next, I spot treat any stains in the carpet and floormats.
4. Using Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer, I hit all surfaces on the interior using a microfiber cloth.
5. Condition leather (if applicable) seats with Armor All leather conditioning gel. Again: dont fear the brand, this stuff is easy to use, moisturizes and doesn't make seats greasy.
6. Clean interior glass just like you did on exterior. Be sure to use non ammonia based cleaner if you have tint, it will turn it purple!
7. Replace all your floormats and crap you took out!

Wow....I think thats it. I'm sure some of my methods aren't the best, but I end up happy and thats what matters right? Heres the pics!

In this photo you can see my latest mod, in which I removed the "Trans Am" and bird from the rear panel.

And the Arsenal, (theres more of course)
Old 04-04-2007, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

god i want to get a NBM WS.6 soo bad...the summer awaits...hopefully i can find one...
Old 04-04-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God lord that looks good. Thanks for the write up. When I know it'll stop raining i'll try this out.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

That reminds me, I really need to polish my car again

It appears NXT really darkens the color, looks real nice.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:56 PM
Launching!

Very clean!! i love it!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. First you'll want to tape off anything non painted, as its fairly difficult to remove polish from plastic, rubber, vinyl etc.

first off, the car looks great. as for the quote above, i found a product tonight that removed white wax from from my non painted, somewhat course door handles on my truck. its called Back to Black and its a liquid. if i remember correctly, its by mothers. it can be used on all trim pieces that are non painted. i used it on my rear top part of my bumper, my mirrors, door/tailgate/tonneau handles, and the weatherstripping around my windows. it cleaned everything, by the time i went around the truck the other side was half way dry and looked new. looked as if it was going to dry completely and not leave the dark deep shine that you would use on your dash and interior plastic pieces. but it got all the **** out, so imo it was worth it. idk if this is a new product or not, but just thought i would let you know

drew
Old 04-05-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1_Hawk
first off, the car looks great. as for the quote above, i found a product tonight that removed white wax from from my non painted, somewhat course door handles on my truck. its called Back to Black and its a liquid. if i remember correctly, its by mothers. it can be used on all trim pieces that are non painted. i used it on my rear top part of my bumper, my mirrors, door/tailgate/tonneau handles, and the weatherstripping around my windows. it cleaned everything, by the time i went around the truck the other side was half way dry and looked new. looked as if it was going to dry completely and not leave the dark deep shine that armoral or others would leave. but it got all the **** out, so imo it was worth it. idk if this is a new product or not, but just thought i would let you know

drew
I never had problems with Poorboys polishes leaving white marks on my trim. I don't tape anything off
Old 04-05-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
I never had problems with Poorboys polishes leaving white marks on my trim. I don't tape anything off

i tried a wax i got at a local detail shop. its called FAST or somethin like that. it worked VERY good and ive used a LOT of products. honestly, i really like it, but it is a white liquid wax and you have to be careful around plastic pieces. this summer i hope to venture into zaino
Old 04-05-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1_Hawk
i tried a wax i got at a local detail shop. its called FAST or somethin like that. it worked VERY good and ive used a LOT of products. honestly, i really like it, but it is a white liquid wax and you have to be careful around plastic pieces. this summer i hope to venture into zaino
never had problems with Zaino either. I use it as my last step product.

Leaves a very nice reflective shine that IMO lightens up the color of NBM. Pretty different than the NXT pictured above which darkened the color.

In fact here is a pic right after detailing
Old 04-05-2007, 04:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Looks Awsome , NBM is such a nice color especially when clean. Good job on the rear panel to , looks waaaay better.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Back to Black is a great product. In fact I had a bottle but had just ran out. I detailed my car in the garage due to rain, and couldnt drive to wally world to pick up another bottle so I just used tape i'm going to hijack my own thread....

You all think some Chrome ZR1's with 315's in back would look good? Not sure I can spend the money to lower it just yet but for the time being im sure it would still look good.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

honestly, yes they would look good, they would look great. but so do your stockers, they look like they are in great shape and i like them. if your going to get new wheels, imo, get something other than zr1's. i like them, but imo it wouldnt really be a wheel upgrade, it would be like an even trade or maybe even worse since yours look so good. if your going to get new wheels, imo, spend more time saving and get some wheels that are more (whats the word) special. and im not talkin z06's....your car is very clean, it deserves something unique. spend the extra time saving and/or even looking for a good deal on something else, youll appreciate it more in the long run.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Menzerna is good stuff, that's for sure.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Looks great! You should top that NXT with some layers of carnauba. I bet it would look even better.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also, forgot to add, next time you will probably want to use something like Meguiar's #26 carnauba wax instead of NXT. NXT may look good but it doesn't last long at all. You'll want the lasting protection and quality of a good carnauba wax like meguiar's.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks great man! Good job.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mmm good call guys. is meguiars #26 my best bet for lasting protection?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mattl31
mmm good call guys. is meguiars #26 my best bet for lasting protection?
There are a couple good pure carnauba waxes out there, but I personally like the Meguiar's as it is readily available and relatively cheap. Using two coats of it (solely to ensure even coverage) after polishing provides very good lasting protection.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'll definately have to try that out. thanks for the suggestion
Old 04-05-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

I never really cared for the look of NXT on NBM. I really like the Zaino Z5pro, Z-CS, Z8 combo. If you don't want to spend the money on Zaino then Tropicare would be a good choice-it looks quite nice on NBM too.

Quick Reply: Detail: 2001 NBM Trans Am