Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Carb regulators

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb regulators

im getting close to fireing off my bbc ive been building and have been looking at a fuel system, kinda lost in regulator selection.. can someone explain multi port regulators as whats the reasoning for having a 5 port?? or recomend a regulator setup?? its a BBC all parts are set to run 3800 rpm and up. 1000cfm carb with a direct port n20 system. my carb is setup for #8 lines and has 2 - 3 way tees making for a inlet and outlet for a return. have a # 12 and # 8 fittings in the tank. the # 12 is going to run to a a-1000 pump > filter > regulator > carb and N20 > return back to tank. not sure what kind of regulator to get or how to run the lines off of it.. i see some regulators have the return comeing off them.. would it be better to cap off my tee on carb fuel line and run a return from regulator?? or run return off back of carb fuel line?? kinda lost
Old 04-05-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

#1-are you planning on running the nitrous system at the same fuel pressure as the carb?

#2-if so are you willing to give up the ability to tune the nitrous system with fuel pressure?

If the answer to 1 & 2 are yes the you should look at the Aeromotive 13202 6 port return regulator.

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/pdetail.php?prod=18

You would plumb 2 ports to the fuel bowls, 2 ports to the fuel solinoids and the return out the bottom to the cell.

If you want to tune the nitrous fuel side pressure seperately then you'll need a dedicated fuel system, pump and regulator for the nitrous side and then use an Aeromotive 13204 for the carb.

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/pdetail.php?prod=20
Old 04-05-2007, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

I am close to finishing up my bbc swap also.I already had the a1000 pump with the old 383 lt1 and plan to use the 13204 reg.I have a 10an feed and 8an return already for the engine,but plan to use a seperate pump,additional line and seperate regulator for my n20 when I add it. As said above,you will be able to fine tune that way
Old 04-06-2007, 06:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by andereck
#1-are you planning on running the nitrous system at the same fuel pressure as the carb?

#2-if so are you willing to give up the ability to tune the nitrous system with fuel pressure?

If the answer to 1 & 2 are yes the you should look at the Aeromotive 13202 6 port return regulator.

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/pdetail.php?prod=18

You would plumb 2 ports to the fuel bowls, 2 ports to the fuel solinoids and the return out the bottom to the cell.

If you want to tune the nitrous fuel side pressure seperately then you'll need a dedicated fuel system, pump and regulator for the nitrous side and then use an Aeromotive 13204 for the carb.

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/pdetail.php?prod=20
ok thanks i understand now. thank you for getting the link! yes id be willing to give up seperate n20 fuel pressure. would it be acceptable to have the 2 ports for the fuel bowels tie into each othe in a sensne?? my fuel logs off the carb have # 8 3 ways, and a straight # 8 line that ties them. could i use the 2 remaining open ends as inlets or would each line off the reg port need to tie to the fuel log seperatly and not tie into each other??
Old 04-06-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Personally I'd just ditch the fuel log.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:23 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I also use a 4 port regulator for the carbs and a separate reg for each stage of N2O.
I use the Holly 500 pump for both and haven't ran lean yet. I like to have some tuning with the N2O without messing with the carbs pressure.

Never seen anyone use a fuel log, can't help with that.
How much does that thing pump, u might not need 2 pumps, if we can feed a 706" BBC with 2 stages with one pump, u might be fine with 1 also. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

MrDragster, you have a dead head system (besides a pump bypass) and smokin2002 has a return system. The A1000 has to operate as a return fuel system and you can only have one basic pressure in a return system. You could set the nitrous system at a lower pressure than the carburetor, but not higher basically rendering the system untuneable with fuel pressure.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:26 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

I actually have a dual return system, the pump and each regulator.

We build it with a gauge adapter and a N2O jet fitting, it keeps all air and creep out of the fuel system. You can sit there all day and the fuel hitting the noids is rock solid. The way I designed my system, u can have all 3 regulators at a different pressure, and all 3 stay dead on. I never had good luck with return style regulators, so when I saw this style, I tried it.
I copied a design from a Pro-Mod guy that bought a fancy fuel system from magna-flow.

I asked, because I heard those pumps were very good, but I don't know anything about it. Info is always good, thanks.

Bio-diesel & alcohol needs our support!!
Old 04-07-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

I have a dual return system, the pump and each regulator.

We build it with a gauge adapter and a N2O jet fitting, it keeps all air and creep out of the fuel system. You can sit there all day and the fuel hitting the noids is rock solid.
I copied a design from a Pro-Mod guy that bought a fancy fuel system from magna-flow.

I asked, because I heard those pumps were very good, but I don't know anything about it. Info is always good, thanks.

Bio-diesel & alcohol needs our support!!
When it was SuperFlow I walked in a trailer at an NHRA race where they had fish tanks all over the place with bleed hoses running everywhere off of regulators and fuel blocks. Your system no doubt works great because your regulator is always moving a bit of fuel. With one bleed or a couple very small ones its okay but any bleed fuel is always unrecovered pump volume.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:48 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Sounds like u have seen what I copied. I use 30 & 32 N2O jets, because that's what I had laying around extra. If u know, what were they using, maybe I'm too big or small?? Thanks.

Last edited by mrdragster1970; 04-08-2007 at 09:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-08-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

Ya, I'm not sure what they were using, but if I had to guess I'd say in the low .020's. The combination you're using is equal to about a .044" jet or 80hp from my way of thinking that's going back to the tank.