Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI or Carb? 89 mustang lx

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI or Carb? 89 mustang lx

What would be the more simple and cheap way to put an LS1 in my mustang, to keep it fuel injection or switch to carb.?
Old 04-06-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

carb would be easier/cheaper i suppose, but what fun is that???
Old 04-06-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lt4malibu
carb would be easier/cheaper i suppose, but what fun is that???
I don't know about easier, but cheaper yes.

Fun would be to have something that nobody else has, 1st off a ls1 in a mustang, next a carbed ls1.. Sounds pretty good to me, but I am biased.

On a serious note, It depends if you have carb experience. I fyou don't know squat about carbs, go efi. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Carb!!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vcious04
I don't know about easier, but cheaper yes.

Fun would be to have something that nobody else has, 1st off a ls1 in a mustang, next a carbed ls1.. Sounds pretty good to me, but I am biased.

On a serious note, It depends if you have carb experience. I fyou don't know squat about carbs, go efi. Good luck.
i said easier mainly because of the wiring aspect, alot of people seem to get scared of EFI because of all "electrical" stuff...
Old 04-06-2007, 05:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i switched to carb after buying a completed swap that had one electrical problem after another. as soon as i'd figure out what was bad and fix it, something else went out. so, i went with a carb and an Edelbrock control module. 4 wire hookup and ran a new fuel system & pump.

if you go efi, i've got a set of vette rails with built in regulator, braided lines that go into your existing feed & return, & 60 psi fp guage i'll let go for $100/$110 shipped. just throwing it out there. i've also got the 90* elbow & k&n filter if you want for another $25/$30 shipped. lmk and good luck.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:59 PM
FormerVendor

If you have a complete ls1 with wiring & pcm then FI will be cheaper, assuming your not afraid of wiring.I put a carb on my 89 coupe just to see if a I could use a stock pcm to run it and it worked great. What trans are you gonna use.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Teching In

i am going to put a T-56 in it ... i got a guy thats selling me the ls1 and the tranny for 2500..... motor only has 50,000 on it. I think i am gonna go carb... its not that i am scared of the wiring its i think that a carb would be a easier and cheaper to install. i am a poor college student and i dont really have that much money.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Default carb of efi

Originally Posted by jhemi
i am going to put a T-56 in it ... i got a guy thats selling me the ls1 and the tranny for 2500..... motor only has 50,000 on it. I think i am gonna go carb... its not that i am scared of the wiring its i think that a carb would be a easier and cheaper to install. i am a poor college student and i dont really have that much money.
I think that going a carb is a mistake. The reason behind going an ls1 is the driveability and fuel economy along with the power. By going with a carb it takes some of these thing away. Imo if you have a complete motor with wiring and computer then carb is going to be more expensive. You have to buy the intake, the msd, the carb. If you already have this stuff with your motor then all you need is a tune, and work on the wiring. Even if you are intimadated by the wiring you can send it off to John at speartech and he will rework it for less than 500 bucks. That is still cheaper than the msd spark controller. Carb is the easy way out, but I dont think that you will enjoy the full potential of an ls1 unless you leave it fuel injected. I am not intending this to offend anyone who has gone carb, but different strokes for different folks. My 2 cents, take it or hate it, Josh
Old 04-14-2007, 09:38 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I`m with cam72aro, if you have the wiring, pcm, intake and injectors it will be cheaper to run the EFI. You can get a tune very cheap for the computer and if you mod the wiring yourself it should not cost more than $100 for the relays, fuses and wire.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Teching In

well the motor is complete except for the excessory drives (alternator, power steering, AC) and i dont have the PCM and im not sure if i am going to get the wiring harness or not yet.... Another thing is im really not sure how to wire it... anybody have any pointers for the wiring so i dont run into some problems... also am i going to be able to run my stock fuel pump and lines or and i going to have to run new ones? where would i go to get the tune for the PCM? Anybody have any sugestions on the cam i should put in ( i will be running street during the week and strip on the weekends), and will the T-56 basically bolt in or am i going to have to do some major mods?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Teching In

so i am going to stick with the EFI. The PCM and the wiring harness should cost me too much and one of my buddies can program my computer for me.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Default efi

Originally Posted by jhemi
so i am going to stick with the EFI. The PCM and the wiring harness should cost me too much and one of my buddies can program my computer for me.
I am glad to hear that. The the driveability of a fuel injected motor is second to none. I think you would regret it if you had gone with a carb.

Quick Reply: EFI or Carb? 89 mustang lx