Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 - Have and need.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default LQ4 - Have and need.

I have a LQ4. I want to mod it for my 80 malibu. I need a healthy cam, but wonder if the lack of compression is going to kill it? Aftermarket heads are out of the quesiton at this point, should I swap heads to raise compression, or just rock out? The car will be injected, and will have some efi tuner available. My buddy got MS4............I was thinking g5x3, or trex but wonder about clearance with changing heads vs compression....? Insight would be very helpful...... I have searched but cant find many non stroker build ups. I think Dave from Cincy put one together, but I cant find it.... maybe lt1 dave or something?

Thanks

Last edited by BLWN1; 04-05-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS6 Heads, cheap, instant compression boost + good flow. I've heard you can get stock castings from Patriot cheap.

MS4 and bigger cams (especially trex) are pretty much a drag setup, even with 6.0L to work with. Compression helps make up for a major loss of low-end torque. However, cutting valve reliefs is done all the time on LSx engines, and is really easy out of the car.

Research som the LS2 combos out there to see what power they are making with what parts. You'll basically have an iron block LS2...
Old 04-05-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hammertime
1. MS4 and bigger cams (especially trex) are pretty much a drag setup, even with 6.0L to work with. Compression helps make up for a major loss of low-end torque.

2. However, cutting valve reliefs is done all the time on LSx engines, and is really easy out of the car.

Thanks for the quick reply, I never thought about the flycutting. As far as drag setup, thats fine, a little nitrous down the road may be an option if my other plan doesnt work. I have a tahoe and trailer if needed.....

Thanks again