Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carb style throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:10 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default carb style throttle body

i saw a carb style throttle body with a maf built in on top of it. anyone remember where or who made this? thanx joel
Old 04-06-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holly and Edelbrock both make systems that use a throttle body on a modified carb intake. Look at Summit/Jegs/Pace and you will find them. They are speed density systems.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Launching!

yes i know. but just recently i saw a 4 barrel style throttle body with a maf built on top of it. thats what im trying to find. i really would like to see if that setup with the edelbrock dual plane would fit under the hood of my 73 formula, and make it a real ram air
Old 04-06-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have seen several outfits building MAF sensors into all kind of things. Sounds like something you would expect from Barry Grant. I will take a look....
Old 04-06-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like this? http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...uel_injection/
Their homepage:
http://www.mass-floefi.com/mass-flo.html
Not cheap, but for a full conversion package, not bad either....
Old 04-06-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah. I read that in High Performance Chevy Mag also.. around $3000.00 but it was a complete setup.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looking at their site, it is a pretty nice setup, but the fuel system is extra. On par with what you are getting with the Edelbrock and Holley speed density systems, but with a MAF. I have a 327 that might like to be fuel injected....
Old 04-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Launching!

thanx thats the one i was looking for. just forgot where i saw it, it was in that magazine, now i gotta go find it. thanx joel
Old 04-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Launching!

just called them. they said the maf alone was 550. said it would (sorta) work with the ls1 computer, but you would have lots of problems with tuning. wasn't very helpfull. basiclly i think he just wanted to sell me the whole system. the fuel system setup was around 600. sounds alot like s&p, good stuff but overpriced.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joelvette
just called them. they said the maf alone was 550. said it would (sorta) work with the ls1 computer, but you would have lots of problems with tuning. wasn't very helpfull. basiclly i think he just wanted to sell me the whole system. the fuel system setup was around 600. sounds alot like s&p, good stuff but overpriced.
The Mass Flow system is very popular in the 5.0 Cobra world because it cleans up the top area and with the Cobra Oval, gives it a 60's era look. A system approach uses a carb intake, Mass Flo TB, GM Maf, and a Ford '87-'93 EEC A9L computer. A freq converter translates the signal from the Maf to the EEC.

Having said all that, I am not sure what MAF they use, but if it is compatible with the LS1 computer, than it is conceivable that you would only need to buy a TB them. The TB is $550.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...sion/index.php
Old 04-07-2007, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

The mass-floefi.com system uses Ford computer and sensors. Their older stuff used an LS6 MAF with some sort of translator box, not sure what their current stuff uses. Their webpage has a ton of hype about how their system magically works perfectly on any engine without ANY tuning (or any capaiblity to tune it for that matter).

Here's a quote of what they had to say about other mass-air based systems:
Most production management systems will work wonders with a stock engine, or something with minor modifications, but are not so great with an engine that is too far from stock. General Motors systems, for instance, do not respond well to major upgrades, and no amount of chip tuning or dyno time will make it right. They run, but not quite as well as they should. Ours works differently. It's all in the programming!
I think most LS1 tuners would take great offense to that. I know I do.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:38 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

General Motors systems, for instance, do not respond well to major upgrades, and no amount of chip tuning or dyno time will make it right.
Somehow I think that they would have a difficult time telling that to the people running twin turbos and 700+ HP with a GM computer.

Anyway back to our original question.

What about using a carb manifold, but using an adapter to put the original LS1 TB on it and then putting the MAF sensor right on top of it? Do you have enough room for this? If you were really short on space you can use the carb intake and a low profile TB and go MAF less. The LSx motors can be tuned to run in speed density mode, so you don`t have to have a MAF.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by G-Body
Anyway back to our original question.

What about using a carb manifold, but using an adapter to put the original LS1 TB on it and then putting the MAF sensor right on top of it? Do you have enough room for this? If you were really short on space you can use the carb intake and a low profile TB and go MAF less. The LSx motors can be tuned to run in speed density mode, so you don`t have to have a MAF.
I've seen several people on here doing that... at least a couple of them had custom elbows from intakeelbows.com to adapt LS1 throttlebody to a carb-style manifold.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:06 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have seen the 90 degree adapters too, but that wasn`t exactly what I was thinking of in this case. I was thinking that he could use a flat adapter kinda like a carb spacer, but make it an adapter to bolt the TB on so that the intake of the TB pointed straight up that way he could put a regular carb style air cleaner/filter on it.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Or .... You could seal up a small air breather (without the filter) or use a carb hat for blow through forced induction systems. Secure it to the top of a carb style throttle body and run an intake tube to a remote filter like most newer cars and trucks. This way you could easily place a MAF sensor in the intake tube and still maximize your hood clearence.
Ken

Last edited by Kenova; 04-09-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:27 AM
On The Tree

I'm running with a 4 barrel T/B on a Victor Jr manifold. I didn't bother with a MAF, I've just got a speed density tune in my factory ECU. It runs great.

The T/B takes all the stock sensors and I machined the air cleaner to take the IAT sensor. I just had to re rout the loom a bit but I had already made a few loom changes when I relocated the coils.

Cheers

Michael
Old 04-09-2007, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1 Cobra
I'm running with a 4 barrel T/B on a Victor Jr manifold. I didn't bother with a MAF, I've just got a speed density tune in my factory ECU. It runs great.
Michael
Engine bay looks great, but you put the pedal box on the wrong side
Nice car, can we see some more pics?

So as not to Hijack the thread, I've talked to Chris at Mass-Flo, seams like a nice fella. Of course he's in the biz of selling his product, but he was very patient with my dumb questions and seamed to know what he was talking about. I like the fact that repairs are off the shelf FoMoCo parts so you dont have to worry about having to replace the system years from now because no one else knows how to service the damn thing. He kept the GM Mass air sensor because it flows better.... Chris

Quick Reply: carb style throttle body