Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, drivung car to work this morning, car is running fine, get on high way still running fine, then crusing in 6th gear car just loses power, fells shacky, puch in clutch idels but at like 500 and really shacky, no power like a big miss, but is not throughing any codes, what could it be?? no bad nocking or vaulve noise, so probably Fuel or spark, but where?? any ideas would be great.!!! car has 109,000 miles, mods in sig.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Start by checking the ignition system and then the fuel system.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

any ideas where to start?? on doing that?? like what is the most likley?
Old 04-06-2007, 08:49 AM
10 Second Club

Check fuel pressure first a really bad igntion problem would most likely throw a ses light.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Ok checked gas for water, nothing.
Started it up and pulled each plug wire and each one makes a difference, so I am guessing not plugs, plug wires, or coil pakes, unless i am missing something. what next or any ideas
Old 05-08-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

bump1111111
Old 05-08-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

My guess is fueling. Do you have a scanner that will let you read fuel trims and monitor NBO2 activity? You're fuel trims could have spiked or dropped off causing the symptoms you mentioned.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

When did you change the fuel filter last? Sounds like perfect symptoms for a clogged/dirty filter, and thats just when it'll act up, under a low, stable amount of throttle like while cruising in 6th. Does it happen under WOT runs? Won't get a code for it either.
Bad O2 sensor will also cause that and they WILL NOT always throw a code, mine were both bad and I had no code but they did show up bad with an OBDII scan.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Have not tried WOT, i was driving it and then it started the stumble I parked it and trailered it home, and it has a miss at idle. I can try a filter, thats easy. I can try and drive it when i get home but i really would rather not let it warm all the way up with this miss. just to try and floor it with the miss too. will that not hurt something? I have a code reader thats it. I do have a spare 02 sensor i could swap out and see if that changes anything. I was thinking about disconnecting one injector at a time to see it that changes anthing like i did with the plug wires. ?? any suggestions? or at least and order of operations.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Can an o2 sensor, cause a direct miss? or a fuel filter? sorry should have asked that in earlier post
Old 05-08-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by pontiac
Can an o2 sensor, cause a direct miss? or a fuel filter? sorry should have asked that in earlier post
Bad O2 sensor(s) will cause all kinds of crazy ****, including what feels and sounds exactly like a "miss". When my O2's went bad (well really it was the wires) they both did at the same exact time, because a mechanic reinstalled my wires and laid them up against my headers. The wires melted at the same time on both sides. While on the highway, cruising steady at 70mph, the car just slowly started to stumble and lose power. Nothing crazy bad, but just like it decided it had enough and didn't want to run anymore. But on my way to the shop to have it checked it was missing, spitting, back firing and then would just humm along steady but stumbling a little bit.

The reason I said do a WOT run, or maybe just a nice strong run is to see if runs perfectly. If it does than its most likely a clogged fuel filter or other fuel delivery issue. Because under WOT or close the fuel pressure is much higher than at cruise or casual city driving, and the fuel will get pushed through a clog or dirty injectors.

A scan will show the bad O2's though, so do that first. If the O2's are good I'd change the filter, than I'd run a can of Sea Foam through the gas tank.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks i will play with the o2s and see what i find, try a fuel filter agian too... please check back when i try these, have to get this thing runnng again.