Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Abs????

Old 04-06-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Abs????

My dads friend has owned a tire shop for 40 years and he told him that if I put 285's on back and 275's on the front that it will mess up wth abs on the car and that I have to get 275's all around. Is this true do u have to disengage ur abs or is it all BS and I'll be fine??
Old 04-07-2007, 01:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What many overlook is the fact that ABS is affected with different overall tire diameters (non-matching sets). It may still operate BUT may not perform correctly.

It assumes that when it sees a difference in pulse widths between front/rears or left/right etc etc...that something is occuring (tires slipping etc). Thefore it may activate more often then it is actually needed which affects the function of your car hampering braking distances, not improving it.

The difference that you're considering between these two sizes (275/40 or 285/40) is VERY small (~5/16") and would be well within tolorances which you probably won't notice a thing. You could probably overinflate a rear and underinflate the same size tire and have that amount of a difference.

Another comment regarding disabling ABS is while just removing the fuse does shut it off...you now have no control or biasing adjustment for your car. We manufacture ABS delete kits...this is why we always include a proportioning valve with our kits. The valve gives the user the ability to actually tune and re-bias their brakes giving the user more control over their braking system when they stray from stock setups.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Like it was said above,tire diameter is the only thing that will affect your ABS not tire width. Im running 315/35R17s in the back and 275/45r17 up front with no braking issues whats so ever.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
Like it was said above,tire diameter is the only thing that will affect your ABS not tire width. Im running 315/35R17s in the back and 275/45r17 up front with no braking issues whats so ever.
Very true, and the overall diamter of your tiores are the same . . . that is why you have no issues.

Search this Thread