Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you measure preload to determine pushrod length?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you measure preload to determine pushrod length?

Just what the question says. I have a TR224 cam and am adding AFR 205's milled .030 with a stock GM gasket & new LS7 lifters. I need to find out what size pushrods I need. How do you measure preload?
Old 04-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to have the cam in the right postion. Crank the motor over by hand until you see the exaust valve open and close then the intake open and close. Then stop. You can go a few degrees past closed on the intake.

Take a black marker and color the valve stem. I use the #2 cylinder because its easy to get to and see.

Set the rocker and pushrod in place. How many turns before the rocker sits flush and you feel you need to use torque wrench to hit 22 ft lbs. You want to know how much "crush" you have. How many turns to seat the rocker onto the pedestal. Then go ahead and torque it to 22 ft lbs.

Then crank the motor over by hand so you get about 3-4 cycles on the cylinder your using. Then take the rocker off and look at the valve stem. The marker should be worn off the valve stem. Where is the wear?

Report your results. How many turns and where is the pattern on the valve stem.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With pictures:

http://www.hardcorels1.com/vbulletin...read.php?t=622
Old 04-08-2007, 06:33 AM

Thanks, I just registered on that site too.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Just what the question says. I have a TR224 cam and am adding AFR 205's milled .030 with a stock GM gasket & new LS7 lifters. I need to find out what size pushrods I need. How do you measure preload?
Buy a pushrod checker and put it in place where the PR goes when the piston is at TDC compression. Then turn the PR checker until it hits zero lash, then read how long it is and than add the recommended lifter preload to get you required PR length.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
You need to have the cam in the right postion. Crank the motor over by hand until you see the exaust valve open and close then the intake open and close. Then stop. You can go a few degrees past closed on the intake.

Take a black marker and color the valve stem. I use the #2 cylinder because its easy to get to and see.

Set the rocker and pushrod in place. How many turns before the rocker sits flush and you feel you need to use torque wrench to hit 22 ft lbs. You want to know how much "crush" you have. How many turns to seat the rocker onto the pedestal. Then go ahead and torque it to 22 ft lbs.

Then crank the motor over by hand so you get about 3-4 cycles on the cylinder your using. Then take the rocker off and look at the valve stem. The marker should be worn off the valve stem. Where is the wear?

Report your results. How many turns and where is the pattern on the valve stem.
I like this idea. I think every 1/2 turn is .050 preload.. -Correct me if I'm wrong. w/ the rocker off, gently push on the PR. That will give you an idea. Place your finger on teh edge of the head while you tighten the rocker, you can feel when the PR starts to plunge the lifter.

W/ the PRLC, on a dry lifter, it's a delicate procedure. I started the PRLC adjusted to 7.300. Then I turned it until I felt it stop. DON'T force it! I used just a light touch of my finger tips to turn the PRLC. I ended up w/ 7.300 after a couple tries and rechecks (w/out adding preload of .050"). -On -=Modified=-'s car.