Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front shock/spring removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front shock/spring removal

everything i have looked at on the internet said to seperate the upper ball joint to remove the front shock/spring assembly. my haynes manual says to seperate the lower ball joint and remove it that way. why would i want to seperate the upper instead? I will be replacing the lower ball joints at the same time, so what is the advantage seperating the uppers instead? will i need to seperate both?
Old 04-09-2007, 01:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by littlebird
everything i have looked at on the internet said to seperate the upper ball joint to remove the front shock/spring assembly. my haynes manual says to seperate the lower ball joint and remove it that way. why would i want to seperate the upper instead? I will be replacing the lower ball joints at the same time, so what is the advantage seperating the uppers instead? will i need to seperate both?
Will probably be much easier to seperate the upper joint 1st at least. It seriously only takes a couple minutes, at least thats how mine did. Just pull that cotter pin out, get the nut off, and take some pressure off of it with a floor jack or something, and give it a good whack with a hammer from below. It should come loose, mine did the 1st hit with the hammer on both sides..
Old 04-09-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was able to get my front springs/shocks off doing the method stated above. Was really a piece of cake.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:06 AM
12 Second Club

Don't fully remove the nut...leave a few threads on so it doesn't fly off the balljoint. You can do either upper or lower. I did upper on mine since it's easier to whack the top of the spindle with a hammer. When you put a floor jack under the lower A arm you're adding pressure, not releasing it. When it's not supported it's at full droop with no tension on the ball joints. It helps having pressure on the ball joint so it helps pop it loose. And always hit the spindle and not the ball joint. It's easy to ruin a ball joint whacking it with a hammer!
Old 04-10-2007, 02:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you plan to replace the lower ball joint then do that one instead of the upper one.

Quick Reply: front shock/spring removal