LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

hmmm...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hmmm...

im having an overheating issue. after start up it only takes a matter of minutes for the gauge to sky rocket. but if you feel the cap and hoses...they do NOT get hot! tried a couple t-stats...didnt help. so i took the t-stat out and ran it w/o. still nothing. i appear to have a small leak coming from one of the heater hoses. but i think im losing a little more water than what is dripping on the ground.

please tell me to quit worrying bout the head gasket!! lol

oh yea!! if the temp sensor were faulty ... would the gauge read incorrectly? that could be a fairly easy fix...

any help would be great guys.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you see water flow in the radiator when you take the cap off, after it's warmed up? Might be stopped up somewhere. The temp sensor in the water pump is for the pcm. The one for the guage is in the driver side head. Could be bad.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, you need to hook the car up to a scanner to verify the pcm data. The gauge/sensor could be faulty. Just compare the pcm's ECT temp reading to the gauge and that will lead you the proper course of action. Good luck, hope it's nothing bad.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NXSLT1
Do you see water flow in the radiator when you take the cap off, after it's warmed up? Might be stopped up somewhere. The temp sensor in the water pump is for the pcm. The one for the guage is in the driver side head. Could be bad.
yes you can see movement.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Formula WS6
Yeah, you need to hook the car up to a scanner to verify the pcm data. The gauge/sensor could be faulty. Just compare the pcm's ECT temp reading to the gauge and that will lead you the proper course of action. Good luck, hope it's nothing bad.
where can i find one of these infamous readers?
Old 04-08-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its very easy to tell if its a bad head gasket. These cars if not bleed properly may overheat. Check fans coming on and off.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its very easy to tell if its a bad head gasket. These cars if not bleed properly may overheat. Check fans coming on and off.