Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear just a few miles from exploding... Need to make a decision...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear just a few miles from exploding... Need to make a decision...

Well, I was taking the car for her weekly drive today, Ele-Blue95 was riding shotgun, when we noticed that the gear whine had gradually gotten REALLY bad as the rear warmed up, and was accompanied by a whirring/grinding noise when coming to a stop/starting from a dead stop.

When I was last into the rear end, installing a new posi, I knew that I hadn't set up the gears completely right. The pattern on the coast side was perfect, but the pattern on the drive side was towards the outside of the gear tooth, and also towards the heel, for this reason I haven't really beat on the car since the install, knowing that I needed to order some carrier shims, and get everything straight.

I'm currently saving for a few things, one of which is either a Dana 60 with a full spool, or a 9" with a full spool, so I know that I've got a rear end coming either at the end of this year or the beginning of next (or WAAAAY sooner if this job prospect that I'm looking at pans out)

My question is this: Do I even worry about shimming the carrier, considering that I walk to both jobs, and do not really NEED to drive the car?

Or do I shim it and hope it lives long enough to drive it once a week for another 8 months or so, no abuse, just normal driving to get it up to temperature.

My only worry is keeping the car driven enough to keep it running right, and keeping the people in my apartment complex off my back by moving the car every now and again so that they know that it's capable of moving under its own power. They will tow it if it sits for 14 days without moving.

Give me your opinion on what YOU would do if you were in my shoes.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

Anybody?
Old 04-09-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't want to go into the diff either, but from what you describe I would be worried about making 8 more months, even on once a week.

I am horrifyingly afraid of going into a diff, but I also do not want to waste a lot of money on a 10 bolt. I would say if you are even semi confident you can get in there and shim it up for 8 months of once a week, do it.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:32 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I'd shim it in your case. Bob
Old 04-10-2007, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your bearings are shot. You may not be able to shim it up without replacing the bearings. I say just bite the bullet and go make things right. Then enjoy it until you really break it and have an excuse to get a 9".
Old 04-10-2007, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

After some thinking, I've decided to just ride it as is, and only drive it once every TWO weeks or so, just to keep everything in good running order.

If push comes to shove and it takes a dump, I can just have it towed to my parent's house and either order a junkyard rear or buy whatever needs to be replaced and patch it for a little while.

In the meantime, I'll be saving up for that S-60 or 9" double time. I'm typing up a resume right now for a job that would start me off around $20/hr. If I can land that, then I should be pretty straight.

I hate not being able to enjoy my one hobby.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Piece of **** rearend. I went to shim it today, and couldn't get the right combination of shims no matter what I did. The damn thing was either too close to the pinion, or too far away, no happy medium. I just threw it back together back the way it was after trying five times to get it right.

It's still whining and roaring. Screw it, I'm just going to drive it every two weeks like I planned until I can scratch up the dough for a rear.

I'll NEVER buy another GM product with an undersized rear axle EVER again. GM fucked up big time when they threw a 7.625 rear end under a car with 300rwhp stock.

9" with a full spool, here I come. I'm gonna buy the one thing that Ford did right.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:50 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DOUBT IT
Piece of **** rearend. I went to shim it today, and couldn't get the right combination of shims no matter what I did. The damn thing was either too close to the pinion, or too far away, no happy medium. I just threw it back together back the way it was after trying five times to get it right.

It's still whining and roaring. Screw it, I'm just going to drive it every two weeks like I planned until I can scratch up the dough for a rear.

I'll NEVER buy another GM product with an undersized rear axle EVER again. GM fucked up big time when they threw a 7.625 rear end under a car with 300rwhp stock.

9" with a full spool, here I come. I'm gonna buy the one thing that Ford did right.

My thoughts exactly! Bob