General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

worried about my cars past...

Old 04-09-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default worried about my cars past...

I am getting a little bit of paint work done to my car (not because of a wreck, just for appearance) and when I took the rear bumper off I noticed that right behind the rear tire on the passenger side the sheet metal is a little wrinkled. So when I took it in to the body shop I asked the owner about it and he said that It was obvious that it had been worked on previously and instead of using body filler they just pounded it out and painted over it, which made sense because the bumper covers it and it never gets seen. The other side is fine. He also said that alot of the panels on the car have been re-painted, but he also said that whoever painted it did a pretty good job, and did it the right way by taking all the mouldings off and not just painting around stuff. My question is do you think that there is a possibility that my car was hurt before? I mean it drives straight as an arrow and that's the only thing i've ever noticed, I just know that these days alot of places can take a car that is hurt pretty badly and make it look fine. It makes me nervous. I asked him to raise it up and look under it and make sure that everything is straight and lined up and make sure that it's just a little body damage. So hopefully it is.

I just don't want to start modding and run into driveability problems later on down the line as the power increases. I plan on making it an all out drag car. What do you guys think. I'm probably just being paranoid. Or I hope I am at least. I've thought about getting rid of it and finding something that has a perfectly clean record, but this one had one too, I thought. I knew it had been repainted because the previous owner said that it had been keyed and he had it repainted. But the bumper worries me. I don't want to get rid of it though because I've already put quite a bit of work into it and it's almost paid off. I don't know. I hate finding stuff like this.....
Old 04-09-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your fine.

Look for frame damage. I would be much more worried about structural integrity in another possible wreck than drivability issues.

If the title is clean and thats the most of the damage. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine's been around the block too (or rolled around the block, I dunno) I have a replaced hood, and both rear 1/4's have a bondo spot behind the doors. Also the RR 1/4 has a scraped up molding that was just repainted over lol. Frame looks to be fine though! Just like was said as long as the frame is straight, screw it.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Okay. Thanks. That's what I was looking for. That's kind of the way I was thinking but it helps to have some positive reinforcement. I really just don't know much about this stuff. I know a fair share about the mechanics, but not this. Wouldn't it be pretty noticeable though if the frame wasn't straight anymore? I mean if there was something wrong with the car you'd figure it would be pretty apparent, right?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

What's everyone else's opinion? Thanks.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Did you get a Carfax?? They aren't flawless but it can ease your mind a bit.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damaged cars need love too. Mine was hit once, I got over it. Would you love your child any less if it were disfigured or hurt bad? j/k
Old 04-09-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

well more or less i'm asking if you guys think the future driveability is possibly compromised? I dont want to waste money in this car if it is....
Old 04-10-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Damaged cars need love too. Mine was hit once, I got over it. Would you love your child any less if it were disfigured or hurt bad? j/k

haha good one, I think the question should be more like "Would you still love your kid if he came home from school with a black eye"

FWIW My carfax was squeaky clean. It's only going to show repairs that were run thru insurance, and even that is no guarantee. You could always bring it to a body shop or a good repair shop, have the vehicle's overall alignment checked (will cost ya depending on where you go) that way you'll know if it's tracking straight, or if anything's tweaked beyond adjustment.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
well more or less i'm asking if you guys think the future driveability is possibly compromised? I dont want to waste money in this car if it is....
Like you said, a lot of places can take a damaged car and make it look fine, but if they make it drive fine then a lot of the restoration effort was well-placed and should be no cause for concern. You yourself say it drives straight plus you've already owned it for quite some time.

I found out my car was hit in the front right about six months after I bought it (dealer gave me an outdated or altered Carfax ) but the car drives awesome. Although I prefer a car with a clean history like the rest of us do, this car is close enough.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lift the hood and give her a sniff.

Search this Thread