Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using Factory Guages

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Using Factory Guages

I have swapped a 5.3 and 4l60e into my 1981 chev truck. I have electronic factory guages that i want to work in my truck. My question is with those guages should I use the 5.3 sensors(oil and water) or should i use factory style sending units from the smallblock.....I know the threads will be different, autometer makes adapters.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:19 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For both the oil press and water temp sensors you will need to use the 1981 truck sensors. For the water temp sensor you will have to use both sensors. The 1981 sender will be 3/8" NPT, I do not know of an adapter to make it screw right in though. The usual is to either drill and tap the extra hole in the passenger side head to a larger size, drill the waterpump, T it into the heater hose, or cut the sender down to 12mm x 1.50 so it will screw into the extra hole in the pass head.

For the oil pressure on the early PCM`s you can just delete the 5.3L oil pressure sensor because the computer doesn`t use it, its only there to supply the gauge. Then you have a port to put your original 1981 sending unit.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats what i figured, it shouldnt be too bad then. I have done a few swaps, but with aftermarket guages. I want to keep the interior stock looking...