Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Exterior LED Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 10:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Exterior LED Help

I am i the process of replacing the DRL/Front Turn signal bulbs and tail/brake light bulbs with LED bulbs. I have replaced the turn signal and hazard flashers with electronic EL-12 ones. But the turn signals still won't work. They will only work when there is at least one halogen bulb plugged in on a side. Otherwise it stays frozen. The tail light, brake lights, and hazards always work, but the turn signals only work with a halogen bulb in at least one of the sockets (left or roght side) What could be the problem?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you need to change the thermal flasher to one designed to work with LEDs, which consume much less power.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:13 PM

I changed them to electronic flashers, which I was told would work with leds.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner.

So all of the LEDs light up in all the places you put them but when you go to use the turn signal, only the front LEDs don't flash?

Do all of the turn signal LEDs in the taillights flash with the turn signal?

I'm simply trying to isolate the problem and where it exactly is. Which did you install first, the front corner LEDs or the taillights?

I had a weird issue that I solved by flipping around the LEDs in a certain order which made them all work. I installed my front ones first and then did the taillights. I had to first get the lamp closest to the fender to light first and then the one closer to the center panel for everything to work.

Get us some more details so we can get you going.

-Brian
Old 04-11-2007, 12:48 AM

I checked all the bulbs and they work and are non-polarized. The turn signals still don't work.
After pluggin in all the bulbs only the turn signal function doesn't work. It turns on solid when I push the turn signal.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I'm not exactly sure what your issue is then. If the hazards work, then try swapping the electronic flashers and see if maybe you got a bad one. Sorry I can't help you more. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Try going to hidplanet.com/forums and pose the question in the LED section.

-brian
Old 04-11-2007, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be the LED's. I had the same issue, but I bought 3156's. I then replaced them with 3157's and they worked. I dont have any pics but the 3157's have 2 connections at the base of the wedge on both sides, 3156's only have one on each side. Sorry if I that was confuseing..

Quick Reply: Exterior LED Help