Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car keeps dying?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car keeps dying?????

Please help my car keeps dying it will start and run for abourt 3 secs and then just die even if I step on the gas.....checked codes and the only thing I am getting right now is the P405 EGR, but that was removed a long time ago. Can anyone help???
Old 12-07-2002, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Car keeps dying?????

You must have recently changed something or done some kind of work to car, help me help you?
Old 12-07-2002, 08:23 PM
Banned

reset your computer by pulling the pcm fuse with the key in the on position.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

The only thing I recently did to the car was replace the spark plugs removed the rest of the egr system and put 1 quart of 15w50 oil. I was trying to get a mixture to see how that effected my oil consumption. Most of the egr system was already disconnected and I just finished removing the rest of it......ie the hoses that go to the air pump. That's it.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure if this can cause it... but if you removed your EGR there's the possiblity that the gasket and block off plate aren't sealing and you're getting a vacuum leak there... I would imagine enough of a vacuum leak could cause the car to die (like adding a REALLY big cam and trying to idle on stock tune)

Did you get a new GM gasket for the EGR or did you reuse your old one? I'd check that first thing
Old 12-08-2002, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

As said its either a vacuum leak from the EGR system. Or it is a misfire and just hasnt thrown the code yet. Check all the spark plugs and make sure every plug wire is really on there.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Put my egr system back to the way it was and car still keeps doing the same thing...runs for about 5 seconds. I did manage to get a misfire code ICOutput High/Pulse Detected when GND_Cyl. 3
Pulled the valve cover on that side and everything still looks good...pulled the spark plugs and everything still looks pretty good except maybe running a little rich.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Put my egr system back to the way it was and car still keeps doing the same thing...runs for about 5 seconds. I did manage to get a misfire code ICOutput High/Pulse Detected when GND_Cyl. 3
Pulled the valve cover on that side and everything still looks good...pulled the spark plugs and everything still looks pretty good except maybe running a little rich.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:56 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

CHeck and make sure you have a good connection on all your sensors. Especially the coilpacks. Maybe unplug them and reseat them. My car did the same thing when i had a loose connection with one ofmy coilpacks.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

put a fuel pressure gauge on it. may not have enough pressure or fuel pump not coming on once started. The first turn of the key will prime the system to start. Not sure on ls1 but the early gm's would then use the oil pressure sensor to tell the ecm to turn on the fuel pump.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

EXACTLY what I was thinking I think maybe the oil pressure sensor is out but don't know where it is located .Can anyone help me with locating it????

Quick Reply: Car keeps dying?????