Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump went out

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump went out

I have a 99 T/A I just put in about 2 months ago a 382 Lunati strocker kit. I was working good for about a month and then the oil pressure just dropped. I thought it might be the sending unit but checked under the valve covers first to see if there was oil been lifted first. No oil so I took the oil pump off and check it everything look good I don't know how this type of pump could go wrong. Then only thing I can think of is the valve that it under spring pressure got stuck some how. I went ahead and put two small washers under the spring to pump up the psi. I also ported the inlet and outlet for more volume. When I put it back in the psi were great at idel the car was at 65psi cold and then went down to 45psi when the car hit 210temp. Everything was great oil pressure would pump up to 80psi under high rpm. So I went and took it for a spin went up to 6k rpm in 1st and 2nd gear and the pump just went dead. Has this happend to anyone else? Any info. would be appreciated thanx.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil pump went out

My guess is the bore the bypass piston is in is either scored or warped from heat.

The internal bypass in the pump only operates at high rpm,you tore it apart,it was unstuck until,,,you hit the gas again.

On the cast iron Chevrolet early style pumps I have seen deep scores in the bypass piston bore during tear down inspection proving they must go into bypass alot.

I suppose abrasives in the oil does not help matters over a period of time