Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traditional SBC Thermostat/straight outlet use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traditional SBC Thermostat/straight outlet use?

I need a straight wateroutlet for my t-bucket LS project. I bought the straight outlet housing from CSR, it says to use a standard sm. block chevy T-stat. What about the back half of the original LS stat that closes the passage in the water pump? It seems a standard t-stat for sbc's is letting water around the bypass area, etc. Anyone have a scoop/solution?
Old 04-10-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using the CSR housing and a standard Chevy T-stat as well. I contacted CSR about the loose fit and they told me that was intentional to allow some coolant to pass when the stat was closed. I have about 3 k miles and almost a years use on mine now and it has worked perfectly. Hope that helps

Pat
Old 04-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

The loose fit I can see, I'm wondering about the inside surface of the pump where the circular "plate" closes the opening between the two chambers of the water pump, like the stocker does and sbc stat doesn't reach back there??
Old 04-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Any other thoughts?? It seems to me if the opening left uncovered/plugged it would allow too much re-circulation when the motor is warm, and the pump will pull from the hot side instead of the cooled water from the radiator??
Old 04-11-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dono, all I can say is mine works fine. I have a 180 in there and it holds it just fine, highest I have seen is about 205 in traffic on a triple digit day.

Pat

Quick Reply: Traditional SBC Thermostat/straight outlet use?