Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV setup for custom LS7 install

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default PCV setup for custom LS7 install

I am putting an LS7 into a '68 Camaro, and I am not sure how to run the PCV lines mostly due to my aftermarket oil tank. The stock setup on the 'vette is very similar to the LS2. There is no PCV valve, and the intake sucks air out of the valley cover. Supply air for the opposite side of the system is drawn from the intake tube and then into the valve covers. However, unlike the LS2 the supply air is routed through the dry sump tank. There are in and out fittings on the top of the stock oil tank.

On my car, I have a Peterson 2 gal. tank that has one -12 AN breather fitting at the top of the tank. Due the scavenge pump pulling at least some air out of the pan, the tank has to breath somewhere. Obviously, it would be easiest to breath it to atmosphere. Since I am going to run a MAF, if I want to keep a PCV system, I can't do that. Also, I would like to run a catch can somewhere.

Here is what I was thinking: Catch can between the valley cover and the intake (the normal spot). Draw supply air from the intake tube in front of the TB. Put a tee on the fitting on the dry sump tank. Then route to each valve cover. This is basically the same as the stock setup. I am concerned that the tee fitting might not breath the tank properly. The problem I can foresee is that it might push oil into the intake tube at WOT. The last thing I want is to get oil into the intake.

Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-external-engine/691509-breathers-pcv-bypass-etc.html
Old 04-15-2007, 09:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

You can see my Peterson tank with their breather tank and how I used a catch can coming off the valley cover:
Old 04-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

John -- Does the breather can only breathe the oil tank, and the rest of the PCV function like an LS2 with a catch can?

Does your setup skew the l-trims at all?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

John -- Does the breather can only breathe the oil tank, and the rest of the PCV function like an LS2 with a catch can?
I tap fresh air from in front of the TB and route this to the valve covers via a "T". I then route the valley cover air through the catch can to the TB.
Does your setup skew the l-trims at all?
Nope

Quick Reply: PCV setup for custom LS7 install