Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Looking at a car, need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking at a car, need opinions.

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting this 2002 Firebird Formula A4. It's pewter with grey leather. Just shy of 50k miles. As far as I can tell it's completely stock, although I haven't looked under the hood. The dealership is asking $17,480(but I could probably get it down to 17,000). Basically, I'm trying to figure out if this is a good deal or not. I'd probably start out with a ~3500 TC, and maybe an electric cutout. I can get a few pics posted up if you want. It looks to be in pretty good condition. Carfax says it has only had one owner, and it's stayed in Florida. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Try to talk them as low as possible, I'm looking for an '02 like yourself, only a T/A. I've been watching on eBay somewhat closely, alot of low mileage (mi<50k) '02 T/As (some WS-6) are listed for like 17-20K and they are not selling all that well. If you need to finance you don't have as much leverage; if you have the cash then you'll have some more buying power IMO, alot of cars get sold out from under for a cash sale. Try 16.5 cash in hand, whats the worst that happens, they say no? Come back the next day w/ 17 then haha. Some people will tell you it's a good price and others won't, you're the best judge; after all it is your hard earned $$$. I live pretty far from you so I can't vouch for your market, but research your market see how the sales are going, and make a decision from there. Good luck and go w/ what you feel is best in your gut, or...wallet haha
Old 04-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Ya, I'm definately going to be financing and trading in my truck. I'll be getting at least $1100 on top of what I owe, so at 17k, I'll be looking at about 315/mo. which seems pretty good, and leaves room for some mods. The only thing holding me back a little is the A4. I would prefer the M6, but 1) who knows when one of those will come along, and 2) if I can get a TC in it maybe it'll be better than an M6 (never driven a stalled car).
Old 04-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Teching In

If you really want the M6, wait, don't waste your $$$ buying a car you really don't want. We're not talking total steal here, if it were I'd say buy regardless of trans type. Just as yourself, I am waiting for am M6 car to come along when I am ready to buy, I have had 2 A4s an LS1 and an LT1, both were just fine in every way, but I found myself wishing they were M6. stalled A4 cars are a force to be reckoned with. I am a firm believer that for a straight line race car auto is the way to go. The average driver can more launch better and consistently run the same numbers; its hard to outshift a solid auto. I'm running a turbo 400 w/ a reverse valve body at a 4000rpm stall in my '69 drag project. My street '69 project has a Super T-10 and when I do buy the '02 I've been waiting for it will w/out a doubt be a T-56, not because I believe the T-56 is superior to the 4L60E, it's just what I want to enjoy , and if I'm going to drop 20K on a used car it better be everything I want. Don't settle for a trans you don't want. Just some food for thought. If it's not that big of a deal to you then go for it. Like I said, I don't personally believe it's a steal, but a fair price considering it's coming from a dealership. J/c is it a GM dealer or no? If you can get the car for roughly 17K financed through the dealership and it is in fact what you want, you seem like you're ready to go through with it, then get it. Just make sure you get the car you want.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want the M6 then wait for it. Make sure you blue book any car and see what it's worth and take it to a mechanic you trust to check it out.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Ya, it's James-Rivard Pontiac-GMC in Brandon, FL(I've bought three vehicles from them last year). The website is www.jamesrivard.com if you wanna check it out. It's on page 9 of the used inventory. I'm thinking real hard about this. I really do like the straight line speed more as opposed to the twisties or auto-x. Also, I'm looking for a better shifter, or even a better looking handle. Any tips? And thanks for your words of wisdom. I have a hard time deciding what I want, as you could probably tell from the number of vehicles I bought last year.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Looks like a super nice car. I have a 01 trans am ws6 a4 and love it. All the same I would love to have an m6. Its a hard car to beat with either trans. So good luck with it.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks. Are you stock, or do you have any mods?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Teching In

actually buying with cash isn't goin to get you a better price. if your buying from a dealer, paying with cash is more of a hassle than getting it financed through them, and they also get dealer incentive if you do finance through them. it gets real complicated but thats how it is, or thats how it is over here in northern california.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Banned

^^^ I agree.

When some dude pulls the "what's the cash price?" move....

I simply say, "the same one we've been talking about." Whether you pay cash or the lending institution wires us the money... it doesn't matter... paying cash has *zero* negotiating power.

My advice to the guy getting the Formula.. look up the used car trade in value on the Formy and try to pay as close to that as possible... plus tax,tag,title.

Hope it all works out for ya.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheClassic
Thanks. Are you stock, or do you have any mods?
I have K&N filter and exhaust but thats it for now.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hold out for the 6 speed if that is what you really want, I personally like a manual in a performance car.
What ever car you decide on do your research on the price using NADA and Edmunds or check some banks for loan value, and don't pay more than the bank would. Doing this you will at least have an idea what is the market value in your area.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Teching In

I hope I didn't give any bad advice on buying with cash, if I did my bad. I was only talking from experience, I do not work at a dealer, or know anyone who does work at a dealer. Both the T/As I described in my above post I bought I actually bought them 'online.' I was bidding on them online and 'lost' both. The LS1 was from a 'dealer' online in FL and I bought it out from under the 'winning' bidder by paying about $350 less in cash on the spot. The second car I bought from a private seller on LI, NY and bought it out from under a guy waiting on financing approval for $300 less. I'm sorry if I gave bad info on working with a dealer, guess it's a good thing I don't usually deal with them! haha Considering you're without a doubt financing I guess it really doesn't matter what I said anyways. haha I did look at the car from your link looks nice, good luck!!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Teching In

I looked up the KBB value, and it came up to $16925. So 17k is about right. I won't be paying any taxes, because my truck is worth more than I'd be paying for the car, and the fees aren't that much, maybe a couple hundred dollars. So, when all is said and done, I'm probably looking at about 16,150 financed. Not too shabby. I'm going to talk to my credit union next week about setting up the deal.

edit: BTW, what color stripes look best on a pewter car?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheClassic
BTW, what color stripes look best on a pewter car?
In my opinion... pewter colored stripes look best on a pewter car.

Get it?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Teching In

very nice
Old 04-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Teching In

I agree, stripes aren't my fav on a 4th gen firebird. But it will be your ride not ours lol. Did you find anything as far as shifter upgrades go for a 4L60E? I didn't know of any off hand, was wondering if you found any.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Unfortunately, no. I've found shifters for the TH350/400. But, I'm going to look into a thread on here somewhere. I remember seeing pics of a ratchet shifter sticking out of a perfectly stock console. Gotta find out what tranny he had.

Well, about the stripes... I'm going to find out if anyone here has stripes, and how they look. Basically, I'd like to do something to make my future car stand out(without looking like crap, obviously).
Old 04-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Teching In

I looked around very briefly for a 4L60E shifter but didn't see anything, again it was a brief search. If you decided to change to the WS-6 ram air type hood, the 'blackbird' stripes on the side of the ram air bulge are nice. But then again, they aren't going to set you apart a whole lot, but a nice touch IMO. I would go with black 'blackbird' stripes BTW.