Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Tips on putting 6spd DTE w/tranny etc in car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tips on putting 6spd DTE w/tranny etc in car?

Well this weekend I should be putting a DTE rear diff brace on my 2000 FRC. Planning on doing with everything in the car. Just curious if anyone has any tips of installing the brace this way. Thanks

Bruce
Old 04-10-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

...ah, yeah, it can be done.

To give yourself a little more clearence...since your already dropping the rear cradle...you can lower the two front cradle REAR BOLTS,....and just barely loosen the two FRNOT bolts on the FRONT engine cradle. Remember, just loosen them to allow you to tilt the torque tube/trans assembly lower, so you have room to work with. DO NOT GO TO LOW OR YOUR INTAKE MANIFOLD CAN RUN INTO YOUR FIREWALL AND POSSIBLY CRACK THE MANIFOLD OR FIREWALL. Keep that in mind.

Also,...do not use ANY air tools on the cradle bolts. Loosen, and tighten them by hand.

Other then that,...thats pretty much it. Have fun cusing your brains out man. I hope you have a buddy to help you out.

See ya.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

I just dropped the trans for the first time with jackstands in my garage, its not that hard. I would really recommend to install your brace correctly you pull the damn thing out, its a pretty tight space to work around and you don't want to install the brace wrong or you could end up with a broken case.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

I always drop the etire rear cradle with all the suspension bolted to it.
Then you have access to the entire trans and diff.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

You can get the whole torque tube and rear cradle assembly out of the car pretty easily. me and my roommate and it in and out in under an hour and half. When I did my brace it was out of the car. I think there should be enough room to get everything bolted up with it still in the car.

Chris