View Full Version : !!!!please help, nightmare project!!!!!!!

smokeum99ta
04-11-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm doing a motor swap on a 92 firebird w/ tbi 305 in it. The motor got a 350 block with all the tbi stuff bolted back to it. I started it yesterday and it fired up and I set the timing at 8 degrees. Once I shut it off and tighten up the dist. bolt up I tired to start it back up to double check timing. Well know it won't stay running, it'll start for 2-3 seconds and cut off. I thought it was control module so I pulled it off and had it checked at a local parts store and it was fine, so I thought maybe the pick-up went bad and replaced that since it was cheap. Nothing changed. Any ideas ??????? Thanks Ken

smokeum99ta
04-12-2007, 07:13 PM
air,fuel,spark and compression is needed to run right?????? Guess which one I didn't have?

fuel is the answer. He had a bad gas guage reading over 1/4 tank so I added 3 gallons and vrooooom. What a relief.

Z-Convert
04-12-2007, 09:52 PM
This happens more often than you'd think......

Nate81Camaro
04-13-2007, 05:52 AM
I saw this a little late. Yay - I guessed fuel! :drive:

Z-Convert is right, happened to me too. A fuse was bad. Once it died on me (at work) I checked the fuel first, by dumping in 2 gallons. Fired right up, so I checked and found a bad fuse.

I don't know what your buddy's car has power running off of....did you guys figure out whats wrong w/ his gauge?

smokeum99ta
04-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Now his car is overheating. He said his fan is not coming on. But if you turn on the ac, the fan will start right up. What could it be? I replaced the sensor next to the thermostat which I though controlled the fan. Theres a new water pump. Any ideas????? Maybe sticking thermostat...?

1997bird
04-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Probably the relay for your fans. The AC uses a seperate circuit, which means that the temp sender is comunicating with the ECM.

smokeum99ta
04-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Probably the relay for your fans. The AC uses a seperate circuit, which means that the temp sender is comunicating with the ECM.
Where's the relay at? I thought theres one on each head and one on the intake next to the thermostat, am I missing one?

1997bird
04-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Your relays are next to or with your fuse box in the engine compartment. You are talking about the sensors on the motor.

smokeum99ta
04-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Your relays are next to or with your fuse box in the engine compartment. You are talking about the sensors on the motor.
Thats what I thought. I had a brain fart. I didn't remember seeing a fuse box on this car in the engine bay. Remember that it is a "92". The car is not here right now but will be monday/tuesday, so I can't run out and look at it right now. Where at in the engine bay it is? I know it sounds dumb but I just R&R the motor and didn't see a fuse box but I wasn't looking either.