Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird explosion type problem....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird explosion type problem....

I have a weird problem that happens about ohhh, once every three weeks. While driving, typically from a start in 1st or 2nd gear at WOT or PT all of a sudden there is no throttle response then all of a sudden I have a big backfire through the exhaust. The car then will not respond to any throttle inputs and just revs down till it dies. I pull over and it starts right up. Tomorrow I'm verifying that all the coil packs are fine, that the wires are fine and changing my spark plugs. Any advice would be great. TIA.... Oh, my mods include GMPP ASA cam, Grot headers, true dual and a lid.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Weird explosion type problem....

Well, backfires from the exhaust does mean rich condition
Old 12-14-2002, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

When this happened to me, I had no idea what was going on. I swapped MAF sensors, checked wires & plugs, vacuum leaks & found nothing. Finally gave up and took it to the dealer. I had been getting a code, I think it was P0336. Somehow, oil had gotten in the connector for the crank position sensor. The ignition would cut out at 3500 but the injectors kept firing. All that raw fuel got dumped into the cats and BOOM! The engine would sputter in neutral if I revved it up to 3500. Tach would bounce all over the place.

Check Autotap for any codes. See if the crank sensor wires may have gotten toasted on your headers. The sensor is right above the starter.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

No codes are being thrown, thats the problem. I will check for burnt wires and bad connections. It's just strange that it only happens to me once every three weeks or so. I can get on it right after I start it up again and everything is fine.