Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Tuning with predator

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno Tuning with predator

Local shop that does dyno tuning uses a Predator to change settings. Will I get a decent tune out of this? I am located in pittsburgh, PA and cannot find another shop within 150 miles.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, dyno tuning with a Predator isnt possible and wont accomplish anything if you try except wasting your $$.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

they use just a Predator, or the actual CMR software?? if they're using just a predator, they're not going to be able to do anything that you couldn't do yourself with a Predator.

If they're using the CMR software though, they should be able to get you dialed right in, and then save their custom tune to your Predator.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 04-12-2007, 08:59 PM
On the tree

Brad and what do you base your answer off of? Do you own a predator or know what they can or can not do?

They are a very capable handheld tuner and can be used to dyno tune as long as it is the unit that the owner buys for his vehicle, even more so when combined with a CRM tuning facility that has the ability to custom tailor the map even more.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brad8266
No, dyno tuning with a Predator isnt possible and wont accomplish anything if you try except wasting your $$.
A dyno or even track time with a Predator along with a wideband does provide a viable tuning solution for alot of people.
Not sure how you figure it is not possible?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by finallygot1
Local shop that does dyno tuning uses a Predator to change settings. Will I get a decent tune out of this? I am located in pittsburgh, PA and cannot find another shop within 150 miles.

Thanks
As long as they know what they are doing, they will be able to dial the car in pretty well using the adjustable parameters in the Predator, even moreso if they are using the CMR software.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as stated dyno TUNING is not possible w/a predator w/out the CRM software....

You can put your car on the dyno and try the various setting changes built into the predator to see which combo provides the most power... but this is not dyno tuning...

To dyno tune you need to be able to control fueling at every step, control spark throughout the spark table... etc....

Now if they have CRM ... yes it's DEFINETLY a viable solution for doing a full dyno tune.... but just the handheld you buy is nowhere near as capable as a full tuning software...

Now... if the local shop is using a predator to tune peoples cars... my guess is that they have CRM ... but I would check first ...

The predator is a good handheld, however it can not provide a full tune w/out access to CRM... you can change settings and gain power yes... but you're likely leaving power on the table since you can't change individual cells in the various tables (also any reputable shop should be doing both idle tuning and WOT tuning ... idle tuning as far as I know can not be done with a predator w/out CRM)

Some people notice track time improvements or dyno improvents using an HPP3 ... doesn't mean it's the right way to do it lol
Old 04-13-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
Brad and what do you base your answer off of? Do you own a predator or know what they can or can not do?

They are a very capable handheld tuner and can be used to dyno tune as long as it is the unit that the owner buys for his vehicle, even more so when combined with a CRM tuning facility that has the ability to custom tailor the map even more.
Yeah its capable to see if you will get HP gains and thats it. It is not a tuner that works for part throttle and idle tuning on a dyno. It is worthless to tune on a dyno with it without the CRM software.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
A dyno or even track time with a Predator along with a wideband does provide a viable tuning solution for alot of people.
Not sure how you figure it is not possible?
yeah its a tuning solution but not a dyno tuning solution.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What a bunch of nonsense.
as stated dyno TUNING is not possible w/a predator w/out the CRM software....
So you are saying that if I put my car on the dyno and see it has some KR and is running lean, and then I make the appropriate adjustments to the tool to eliminate KR and richen up the mixture, thats not dyno tuning?
What the hell is it then?
You can put your car on the dyno and try the various setting changes built into the predator to see which combo provides the most power... but this is not dyno tuning...
You're obviously not at all familiar with this tool. The Predator does contain one or more canned tunes depending on the application, but there are not different combos in the tool.
It does have a list of adjustable parameters that includes injector slope adjustment, WOT PE(1K-4K, 4K-7K) three ranges of WOT timing, rev limits, idle speed and alot of adjustment for A4 cars.
For anyone who is not comfortable paying someone else to tune their car, and is not up to the task of tuning with a full suite, then yes, the Predator is the best alternative out there.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
For anyone who is not comfortable paying someone else to tune their car, and is not up to the task of tuning with a full suite, then yes, the Predator is the best alternative out there.
Like you just said its an alternative to a real tuning method. It is far from a proper dyno tune and there is so much you cant even change with the predator anyway. Cant tune idle at all. Its a waste for anything other than a mild bolton car.once yopu step up to a cam its worthless. Wow 3 different setting for selected parameters, lol. For what those things cost i would just buy HPT and have a full tuning/scanning suite.