PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: buy software or have it tuned?
buy HPtuners and try it myself
78.38%
have a shop tune it
21.62%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

buy HPtuners or have it tuned

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question buy HPtuners or have it tuned

wanting opinions if I should have my car tuned or buy the HPtuners and try it myself? It is looking like the same money either way but if I have it done and add a cam or converter later I am going to have to pay again. If i do it myself I am in for a big learning curve I think and also dont know if I can tune it to suit myself. I am at this debate due to no local place to get it tuned I am looking at a 4-5 hour oneway drive to get it tuned from what i have found searching for a tuner. So any options advise or comments are welcome.
also am doing this cause car is missing and stumbling after header install cheked O2's new plugs& MSD wires rear O2 sims.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me I did the shop route first and eventually bought hpt anyway...if you follow these guidelines I think you'll do ok http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11178 another idea would be to get a dyno or mail order tune from a respected shop so you can see where they wouldve started...sometimes gives people a head start into tuning on their own.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to have it tuned, we can tune it and are only a little over 2hrs away. If I were to chose in the poll I would say look at the sticky's and make your decision on which program is better for your personal needs.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Black02SS your shop didnt come up in the sponsor search. If you can shoot me a PM on how much for a tune. I am still looking at all my options.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Our normal street tuning starts at $275. This is the package that 95% of our customers go with.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Question: Could mail order tunes be done usinh HPTuners?? just curious...I know they can be done with the Diablo Predator.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

any other thoughts or suggestions guys? I am looking at/for all my options this is going to be the last mod for a long time for me. Damn student loans!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
Question: Could mail order tunes be done usinh HPTuners?? just curious...I know they can be done with the Diablo Predator.
yeah any tuner that uses hptuners & has the license for your vehicle can edit/modify & email it back to you.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Buy the tune tool whatever you do.
Even if you dont buy the best one
Old 04-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by foff667
For me I did the shop route first and eventually bought hpt anyway...if you follow these guidelines I think you'll do ok http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11178 another idea would be to get a dyno or mail order tune from a respected shop so you can see where they wouldve started...sometimes gives people a head start into tuning on their own.
Same here shop route first then i bought HPtuners anyway. Also if you buy HPT your going to have to get a wideband and a free laptop also. I went ahead and bought everything cause i know some guys that wanted tunes also and they gave me some cash.

I wouldn't be afraid of tuning it yourself either, there's alot of ppl. on here and on HPtuners.com that can help you out with whatever you have a problem with.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ringram
Buy the tune tool whatever you do.
Even if you dont buy the best one
But it is the best one
Old 04-14-2007, 03:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

personal bias aside... I suggest the point of "best" not be debated in this thread.... trying to be more lenient on rules, but I haven't slept in 32 hours so if I see this thread turn into something bad tomorrow... er today.... I won't be too happy...
Old 04-14-2007, 07:03 AM
TECH Junkie

If you have the patience, I would recommend biting the bullet and buying everything and learning how to tune it yourself.
Benefits of having it dynotuned - It is done by a pro and is quick. Assuming they know what they are doing (almost all do) you are now on the road with a good running car.
Detriments of having it dynotuned - If you make any major changes in the future, you are back at the tuner. But he is still the pro.
Benefits of doing it yourself - You know a lot more about your PCM and how it works. If you make any changes, you can retune yourself. You can tweak at will.
Detriments of doing it yourself - There is a significant learning curve. Many say that they are still learning after years of practice. Initial cost is higher. You need the programming/scanning software, a wideband O2, and a laptop computer.
I chose a slight derivative - I bought all the equipment and a mail order tune, compared it to stock to see where the changes were made, and now I am tweaking that tune. An added expense, but a bit of a kickstart for my learning curve.
Best of luck.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

patience i got its the money thats the problem. I would be trying it without the wideband. right now $600 is my limit I wasnt planing on doing the tune now just the headers but the after install issues has forced me to do something see link>
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/687920-miss-after-lt-ory-help-please.html
Old 04-15-2007, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Which ever software you buy you will need a wide band. You will eventually grow into it. It will cost you more to upgrade later then if you bought the whole package now.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Don't bother if you are not going to get a wideband. The learning curve would be too much, IMO.
The offer from Black02SS is a heck of a deal, since widebands are generally around $250 by themselves. And the offer of getting a starter tune going would get you well on your way, IMHO.
Best of luck.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I like to know how to do stuff so for me paying someone else to tune it was no fun.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

My HPtuners will be here tomorrow. I think shows my choice pretty well.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Defintely get HP Tuners, but also consider having a shop write your first tune to get you off on the right foot. No matter how good the shop's tune is, there is going to be something you'll want to change. Plus you'll have the ability to make changes in the future, which you'll want to do, I'm sure.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Banned

honestly if you're not experience with tuning... i would just have a reputable shop tune it for you. it will be worth the money.

you're in Indiana??? give SpeedInc a call. They're in Schaumburg Il.

they could do a mail order base tune so the car will run - and then drive it to them for the full dyno tune.