Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nova TCI front clip brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nova TCI front clip brakes

I bought my TCI front clip for my Nova with the standard disc brakes they offer. Now that I bought '95 F-body discs for the back the fronts look kind of small. I know it is Mustnag II suspension and it has rotors drilled for the Chevy bolt pattern. Anyone know what brakes can be swapped for the small ones. Stock F-body fronts would be cool. Prefer replacements that come off of a stock vehicle, not Bear or an aftermarket company.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:14 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the spindles are already drilled for a chevy bolt pattern it sounds like the front clip is set up for the "hat" style rotors that just slide on over the studs/hub. If that is the case there are many brake choices available. As long as you don`t mind fabricating brackets to hold the calipers, or can find a machine shop that will the options are almost endless. On the smaller side you could go with 1998+ 2WD blazer rotors/calipers (approx 11" discs) You could also go with the LS1 f-body rotors/calipers (12") Or the vette front rotors/calipers (13") I think there may also be 13.75" vette brakes available for the newer vettes, but I`m not positive on that.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey G-Body, thanks for your suggestion. They are actually the old style rotors that are integral with the hubs. I wish the hubs were separate! I am not sure of the spindle diameter where the bearing would fit on but the newer F-body front brakes would be great.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might try late 78+ B-Body rotors.. the caliper for those cares are the standdard GM one piston and used the same brake pads (D52's) as , but cars/wagons with HD brakes, they came with 12" rotors (really 11.5"+). As G-body stated, you might have to make some calipers brackets.

You can also sub B-body rotor with 3rd gen 1LE rotor which are the same dim and a 5x4.75 bolt patern. I put 78" B-Body spindles on my Chevelle and used some sloted 1LE rotors.
As you can see, much of the GM stuff can be swapped with a little work and cross referencing of parts (bearings, calipers, brake pads, etc).
Old 04-13-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did the 1LE brakes come one any certain cars?
Old 04-13-2007, 08:20 PM

Yep, the 1LE 12" brakes only came on 3rd gen f-bodies (possibly only the camaro?) with the 1LE option. The regular f-bodies had 10.5" brake rotors just like the g-bodies and s10`s .
Old 04-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

I am pretty sure they are GM rotors supplied with the TCI kit, not just drilled for the chevy pattern. They are 10 1/2" according to their website.

http://www.streetrodparts.tv/tci-nova-faq.htm

Jimmy
Old 04-14-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks as usual G-Body. Nova65SS you are correct, they are GM rotors that have not been redrilled. I am a little concerned that the Mustang II spindles must require some kind of special bearings for the hubs/rotors to fit. I can get the bearing measurements that I would need but am concerned that any parts person these days will take a second to actuallly get a bearing catalog out and look them up. I am definitely converting though!
Old 04-14-2007, 10:32 PM

You could also take the number off the bearings and have a bearing distributor look it up. Being that you are in KC there is probably a bearing distributor there. Up in the chicago area we have motion industries and a few other places. https://www.motionindustries.com/mot.../mi/motion.jsp

Looks like you might even be able to look up the bearings online.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Default what i did

i have the tci clip for my 65 nova ss too and i too ordered the regular brakes. after seeing that they weigh more than the front end i decided to go with the wilwood kit. I had wilwood brakes on my stock from clip so i called tci and ordered the caliper bracket for the wilwood kit they offer. I would have opted for the wilwood complete disk brake kit but they wanted almost 700 bucks. From my understanding the wilwood caliper bracket should allow my wilwood brakes from my stock front to work.

Quick Reply: Nova TCI front clip brakes