Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I just swap springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I just swap springs?

I bought a set of used MMS stage II heads and it comes with single, grey colored springs. The heads are reserviced by Morgan Feb of this month. That was really close to the time MMS was recalling the springs. So I don't really trust these brand new springs. I called Morgan and they don't know what springs these are and the owner was not sure neither. I am sure they are not comp 918 becuase they don't have the blue stripes.

My current set of heads are stage 1 heads from another vendor with REV dual springs, seats, and titanium retainers. It was installed this May and I have less then 4k miles on the heads. Can I just swap the springs, seats and retainers?

Also, do I need to get new head bolts? Or can I still use the existing head bolts? They are also less then 4k miles.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Can I just swap springs?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by benelliwang:
<strong>I am sure they are not comp 918 becuase they don't have the blue stripes.

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They only started using the blue stripe after they recalled the bad batch. 918's are conical in shape if that helps.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by I8COBRA:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by benelliwang:
<strong>I am sure they are not comp 918 becuase they don't have the blue stripes.

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They only started using the blue stripe after they recalled the bad batch. 918's are conical in shape if that helps.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The springs are straight, not conical.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would not take a chance and would swap springs. Would also use new head bolts as they are "torque to yield" bolts.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by benelliwang:
<strong>I bought a set of used MMS stage II heads and it comes with single, grey colored springs. The heads are reserviced by Morgan Feb of this month. That was really close to the time MMS was recalling the springs. So I don't really trust these brand new springs. I called Morgan and they don't know what springs these are and the owner was not sure neither. I am sure they are not comp 918 becuase they don't have the blue stripes.

My current set of heads are stage 1 heads from another vendor with REV dual springs, seats, and titanium retainers. It was installed this May and I have less then 4k miles on the heads. Can I just swap the springs, seats and retainers?

Also, do I need to get new head bolts? Or can I still use the existing head bolts? They are also less then 4k miles.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What's a seat? The spring seat? How would you swap that?

If you don't know what kind of springs they are, I wouldn't take any chances and just swap them.

Also, I would just get new head bolts. I think SDPC has them for a very reasonable price, it's worth the piece of mind.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by akw408:
<strong>What's a seat? The spring seat? How would you swap that?
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I got this part number and description from thunder racing, hope this helps:
54-SC221 REV Hardened Spring Seats for 54-VS1116 1.25" Double Valve Springs
Old 12-17-2002, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a silly question, but doesn't MMS keep records of what equipment is installed on their heads for their customers?
Old 12-17-2002, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by NastyC5:
<strong>Just a silly question, but doesn't MMS keep records of what equipment is installed on their heads for their customers?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I called them three times and still couldn't get an answer on what springs they are. I wish I could talk to the mechanic named Derek over there, he is very helpfull and he is the one who did these heads. But the sales people never let me talk to him.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's BS, I bet you have the 918's pre-recalled batch. I had a set with 4K on them and they worked fine.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by NastyC5:
<strong>That's BS, I bet you have the 918's pre-recalled batch. I had a set with 4K on them and they worked fine.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, they are not 918's, I repeat, not 918 as I posted in other 2 posts. The 918 has conical shape, these are straight.

<small>[ December 17, 2002, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: benelliwang ]</small>
Old 12-17-2002, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

My bad man.
You can swap the springs with heads on the car if you want. If you're gonna just swap the other set of heads on the car with the springs that are already installed on them then yes, you will need new head bolts and new head gaskets.

<small>[ December 17, 2002, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: NastyC5 ]</small>