Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with oil pump removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with oil pump removal

I've got all the bolts out of my oil pump and now trying to get to the lower timing chain pulley. It feels like it is mounted in rubber but won't slide off. How do I get it off?

Also, which plug is number 1? I want to have it on TDC when I take the cam out. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2002, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Help with oil pump removal

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your oil pump question. But #1 is the front cylinder on the drivers side.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 1madss:
<strong>Sorry, I don't know the answer to your oil pump question. But #1 is the front cylinder on the drivers side.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's a big help! Drives side...
Old 12-17-2002, 02:43 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

1) You dont need to "get to" the lower timing gear. The pump will slide off once you have disconnected the pickup tube bolt on the bottom and the 4 bolts that hold the pump to the block.

2) Turn the crank so the dot on the lower timing gear is at the very top (the dot is small so look closely). You don't need to do this, but I guess you are just doing it for fun? <shrug>

If you need more help, check out my site for photos and instructions on the oil pump and cam removal. http://www.ls1howto.com

<small>[ December 17, 2002, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: jmX ]</small>
Old 12-17-2002, 03:30 PM
JAS
TECH Regular

Very nice site Jon.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jmX:
<strong>1) You dont need to "get to" the lower timing gear. The pump will slide off once you have disconnected the pickup tube bolt on the bottom and the 4 bolts that hold the pump to the block.

2) Turn the crank so the dot on the lower timing gear is at the very top (the dot is small so look closely). You don't need to do this, but I guess you are just doing it for fun? <shrug>

If you need more help, check out my site for photos and instructions on the oil pump and cam removal. http://www.ls1howto.com</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Great site! It's been a big help.

I do have one question. Is it necessary to have each piston at TDC before torquing each rocker bolt where as no spring pressure is on the rocker when tightening? Your write up does not address this.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good documentation in my opinion...
Old 12-18-2002, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

You don't need each cylinder at TDC to torque the rocker arms. You just don't want spring tension on them. You will find that you can tighten several at once. You do not need to go in any particular order on these.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LS1swap:
<strong>You don't need each cylinder at TDC to torque the rocker arms. You just don't want spring tension on them. You will find that you can tighten several at once. You do not need to go in any particular order on these.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks! It's done...couple more hours of hours of work and it will be running, "hopefully".