Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Question - Moly Lube

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Question - Moly Lube

So I realized I'm out of the ARP moly lube, and don't have time to get it here before replacing my head gaskets. The question is, if I used it when they were installed, and its only been there about 2 months, will it be enough to reuse the lube that's already on there? I think I may do that and add another 5lbs to the torque spec to be safe. ARP closed early today, I'll try tomorrow but it sounds like they're out for the holidays....

Opinions?

-Dave
Old 12-18-2002, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Weird Question - Moly Lube

If you put enough on the first time, you shoud be OK. I've had my heads off four times in the last two months and each time I added a little Moly lube to the studs. They really didn't need it but I added it anyway.

The center row of studs inside the heads concerned me in that I thought the oil may have washed the Moly lube off but it's much thicker and stickier than the oil so it was intact when I checked it.

Personally, I would refresh it but I would think that, after only two months, you'd be OK.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Weird Question - Moly Lube

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Buckshot:
<strong>If you put enough on the first time, you shoud be OK. I've had my heads off four times in the last two months and each time I added a little Moly lube to the studs. They really didn't need it but I added it anyway.

The center row of studs inside the heads concerned me in that I thought the oil may have washed the Moly lube off but it's much thicker and stickier than the oil so it was intact when I checked it.

Personally, I would refresh it but I would think that, after only two months, you'd be OK.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah I've got a new tube on the way but won't be here in time for this swap. I figured it is still "gooey" enough, I put plenty on.

Thanks
-Dave