Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pinion Angle - UMI torque arm HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion Angle - UMI torque arm HELP

Ok guys, I took my torque arm off today to change a few things and ended up messing up my pinion angle. I tried to set it back but it doesn't feel right driving, lots of vibrations. It felt perfect before and I set it to -3.5 as per UMI's instructions over the phone. But for the life of me I can't remember how to do it. I thought I had it set right but here, I drew some rough sketchs in MSPAINT. Do I have this right if I want it at -3.5 or am I way off? I need to get this fixed tomorrow if it's off because the track is open tomorrow night and I don't want to screw up my new $400 driveshaft. This is an M6.

I took my measurements on the crank pulley and then on the torque arm mount on the rear end. I have the UMI tunnel mounted adjustable torque arm, and a moser 9" rear end.

Those are the current settings that don't really feel right. Is this -3.5 or +3.5? The pinion angle finder doesn't indicate negative or positive on either side
Old 04-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Ok after some searchin I found this on carcraft which is exactly what I wanted. So I do have it at -3.5 so I need to change my angle a bit so it is less harsh. I'll post this up just in case anyone else has this issue.
Attached Thumbnails Pinion Angle - UMI torque arm HELP-pinionangle.jpg  
Old 04-14-2007, 02:04 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6.Jay
Ok guys, I took my torque arm off today to change a few things and ended up messing up my pinion angle. I tried to set it back but it doesn't feel right driving, lots of vibrations. It felt perfect before and I set it to -3.5 as per UMI's instructions over the phone. But for the life of me I can't remember how to do it. I thought I had it set right but here, I drew some rough sketchs in MSPAINT. Do I have this right if I want it at -3.5 or am I way off? I need to get this fixed tomorrow if it's off because the track is open tomorrow night and I don't want to screw up my new $400 driveshaft. This is an M6.

I took my measurements on the crank pulley and then on the torque arm mount on the rear end. I have the UMI tunnel mounted adjustable torque arm, and a moser 9" rear end.

Those are the current settings that don't really feel right. Is this -3.5 or +3.5? The pinion angle finder doesn't indicate negative or positive on either side
It looks to me like your differential pinion is pointing down towards the ground 2.5 degrees. Your drive shaft should be pointing up the other way. Take a reading directly off the drive shaft and subtract them. If you drive shaft points up 1 degree, then your pinion angle will be - 1.5 degrees.

Quick Reply: Pinion Angle - UMI torque arm HELP