Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

HELP!!! Problem with BOV!!!!

Old 04-14-2007, 09:17 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!!! Problem with BOV!!!!

Hey guys i'm having an issue with my BOV-I think. I'm running a Greddy Type R, regular spring and adjusting nut is all the way out. At idle it is not open(12" vacuum). Anyway if I rev my car at idle to say 2-3 grand the boost guage will actually show boost (about 5psi)before the valve opens. If i rev it even higher the boost will actually jump to 15psi quickly-then swing over to vacuum and you can hear the BOV venting out the air. Problem with this is if my meth kit is turned off-it will start spraying at idle. The next problem is this spike in boost literally trys to rip off my pipe from the intercooler to the TB. So I was thinking of putting another bypas in there-BUT my meth nozzles are there and I don't want meth being sprayed under my hood after I let off. Should i add another Bypass valve-I have a Turbosmart Megasonic I can get my hands on quicka nd can add it right before the intercooler inlet. Or dump the Greddy and get something better? I've never had good luck with the Vortech mondo and i don't think it will fit-there is the Procharger one too or I gan get a Turbosmart 50mm or a Tial? Also should the valve be open at idle? The Greddy is not-it has 2 ports-one on the aluminum canister and one on the bottom-I only have the one on the cannister attached. i have checked the valve with the mightyvac and it does open at around 16" of vacuum. I know the tials you have to pick the spring for the vacuum? HELP PLEASE-I gotta get this thing to the track!!!!!!

Old 04-14-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Well you need much more area for an F1R, you need a Race Valve or something similar and it needs to be open at idle. For whatever reason the Greddy unit doesn't appear to work properly, or its only designed to open up under boost. If you went ahead and ran that you probably wouldn't get past a burnout before it blew tubing, hoses apart or tried to stop the blower with surge.

Greddy doesn't have any instructions on their site for it and as mentioned it can't pass enough airflow anyways.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is your boost gage? Is it before or after the throttle? If its after the throttle then thats just the boost the engine is seeing and the BOV is working properly.

How do you have the BOV connected? Is the line running to the BOV coming from the manifold side of the throttle?

Ryan K.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:27 PM
8 Second Club

Bro-do you have the physical dimensions for the procharger valve? My space is limited but I may be able to put it right before the intercooler inlet or add another valve. With the mighty vac the Greddy Type R opens at 16" of vacuum-this is with the lighter of the 2 springs. The Greddy valve has a 45 mm piston I beleive-how big is the procharger piston? Ryan I get my boost readings off a tap from the brake booster-the T from there also feeds my BOV-so yes it is seeing the boost in the manifold when the throttle shuts-but i'll tell yeah-it was never like this with the D1SC and the small Bosch valve. I wonder if I can just get an even lighter spring for the Greddy and just add anohter one to run 2? Again bro-can you see if you can get me the dimensions of the Procharger Race valve?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2007, 08:08 PM
FormerVendor

The ATI valve may be a tight fit like the greddy, but if you position it the other way, i think you could make it work. If you need to re-circulate it they have a diffrent verrsion, also, it includes a 3" pipe and a flange so you could use a 3" J bend to fabricate the proper location.

For high boost d1sc and F1 setups, highly reccomend the race valve over the pro-flow. Not saying the proflow is bad, but lets be honest, 2000cfm out of a 1" id valve in a matter of seconds?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:23 PM
8 Second Club

Jake what's the physical size of Procharger race ready valve? I don't need to plumb it back so the open one is good. If i can get a size then i can start trying to figure where to mount it. I grabbed my friends Vortech Mondo but it's pistion is only 3/16 bigger than the Greddy-plus it's huge and damn fugly!!! If you can get my the od and the lenght that would be great! Do you have any in stock?
Old 04-16-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

The race valve is 3.375 high x 3.825 in diameter. The mounting flange is .250. The height does not include the length if the adjustment screw and there will be a tube you weld the flange to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP!!! Problem with BOV!!!!