LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best exhaust choice for LT headers and Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best exhaust choice for LT headers and Y-pipe

Alright, on my 94 Z28 I have LT headers, Matching Y-pipe through the stock I-pipe, going to a dynomax muffler. It's very quiet. What would you guys suggest I do to make it louder, yet not lose any power? I was thinking about having them cut the exhaust where the I-pipe starts, or maybe a little back...I know it will be louder, but I'm not sure if I will lose power.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

maganaflow or if you want just stupid loud loudmouth I or II
Old 04-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pretyflywiteguy
maganaflow or if you want just stupid loud loudmouth I or II
Would a magnaflow muffler be better than just cutting the exhaust where the I-pipe is? Would I see more power with the magnaflow?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

if you want stupid loud and not lose power...longtubes-xpipes-true duals into moroso spiral flows dumped before the rear axles. that should be fun :-)

do you still have the stock cats?

why not get a cutout? (the 'performance gains' from a cutout is a very debatable subject...but most people dont see a loss and many see a gain with the cutout open)
Old 04-14-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you run straight pipes you'll get the most up top.. it wont be noticable without a timeslip. With a muffler you'll have the backpressure so you'll feel the low end. I don't think you'll gain anymore than 5 horespower with either loudmouht or magnaflow but it will change the sound.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

I'm finishing up my exhaust this weekend. I had a 3" flowmaster catback with stock manifolds and Y pipe, and no cat. This was already a little too loud for me since I'm getting kind of old and live in a restricted development. I put on long tubes with a 3'' Y pipe and added a Dynomax Race Bullet behind the Y pipe. I also have a cutout to put between the race bullet and the flowmaster. I'm hoping the race bullet muffler will take some edge off of the sound and I can allways open the cutout for the track. If it's still too loud with the cutout closed, I will be ditching the flowmaster for something quieter. Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative!
Old 04-14-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i like the magnaflow catback great sound and nice quality....
Old 04-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade
I'm finishing up my exhaust this weekend. I had a 3" flowmaster catback with stock manifolds and Y pipe, and no cat. This was already a little too loud for me since I'm getting kind of old and live in a restricted development. I put on long tubes with a 3'' Y pipe and added a Dynomax Race Bullet behind the Y pipe. I also have a cutout to put between the race bullet and the flowmaster. I'm hoping the race bullet muffler will take some edge off of the sound and I can allways open the cutout for the track. If it's still too loud with the cutout closed, I will be ditching the flowmaster for something quieter. Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative!

If you want something quiet, get the dynomax super turbo muffler. My car is so quiet, it's ridiculous.

I think I'm just going to go with a cut-out. It's cheap and I can still keep the muffler I have and get just as much of a gain with a cut-out. I'm thinking about making the cut-out right where the I-pipe begins. Good idea? What kind of cut-out should I get? Aren't there different kinds? I heard some leak, so the car is still loud when it's closed...
Old 04-14-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z 2 8
If you want something quiet, get the dynomax super turbo muffler. My car is so quiet, it's ridiculous.

I think I'm just going to go with a cut-out. It's cheap and I can still keep the muffler I have and get just as much of a gain with a cut-out. I'm thinking about making the cut-out right where the I-pipe begins. Good idea? What kind of cut-out should I get? Aren't there different kinds? I heard some leak, so the car is still loud when it's closed...

I bought the Summit house brand of manual cutout, since I will not be opening it a lot. I don't know much about the electric cutouts, but someone will chime in with some advice. I haven't determined the placement for mine yet. I want it as close to the front as possible, but it's gonna get a little crowded with the bullet muffler up there.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

one thing to remember is that a properly setup full muffler (not a bullet style muffler) will make more power than even straight open headers. but you would really need to do your homework and spend a good bit of time and money to get it setup correctly. but it would be damn quiet but still make the most power.

i say get a magnaflow catback. i absolutely despise how the loudmouth sounds on a stock LT1, let alone one with headers. its horrible. if thats not loud enough for you, just buy a $30 cutout. if thats still not loud enough for you, you need to step back and look at why you want it that loud and who you are effecting around you.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

longtubes, cut off your cats, and cutout and leave off the muffler. sounds bad ***
Old 04-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
one thing to remember is that a properly setup full muffler (not a bullet style muffler) will make more power than even straight open headers. but you would really need to do your homework and spend a good bit of time and money to get it setup correctly. but it would be damn quiet but still make the most power.

i say get a magnaflow catback. i absolutely despise how the loudmouth sounds on a stock LT1, let alone one with headers. its horrible. if thats not loud enough for you, just buy a $30 cutout. if thats still not loud enough for you, you need to step back and look at why you want it that loud and who you are effecting around you.
The cut-out will be loud enough. I don't think you realize how quiet my car is. Honestly, it's more quiet than a stock LT1 without exhaust...I don't even have a cat...

The LT's made my car more quiet and a bit deeper....It's faster though.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

loud mouth 2 are probly the loudest mufflers u can get

Quick Reply: Best exhaust choice for LT headers and Y-pipe