LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone with emissions doing this....

Old 04-14-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone with emissions doing this....

Well I live in CT. Therefore hippies want us to get emissions. I want headers of course, and a Y pipe...I have two cats on my 97' and would like at least 1 if I HAVE no choice, but I was thinking this to myself tonight. Someone has probably already done this but I was wondering...

If you got a ORY, got it installed along with the headers, could you flange the end of the ORY so you could fab up a piece of flanged pipe to slip into where the cat would be while the car doesnt need emissions. The cat would also be flanged so you could slip it in when you had to go for emissions.

Of course I would need to get a tune to get the SES for the cats deleted.

Or my second (hopefully original) idea was...

Just install the y pipe, and cut the cat in half, from top to bottom and put a hinge on it with a lock type thing on the opposite side so I could slip it over the Y pipe to give the look of a cat being there. Wouldnt have to take it off and if a cop pulled me over for whatever reason and looked under the car hed see a cat.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
Well I live in CT. Therefore hippies want us to get emissions. I want headers of course, and a Y pipe...I have two cats on my 97' and would like at least 1 if I HAVE no choice, but I was thinking this to myself tonight. Someone has probably already done this but I was wondering...

If you got a ORY, got it installed along with the headers, could you flange the end of the ORY so you could fab up a piece of flanged pipe to slip into where the cat would be while the car doesnt need emissions. The cat would also be flanged so you could slip it in when you had to go for emissions.

Of course I would need to get a tune to get the SES for the cats deleted.
That would be called a test pipe.

One thing, you shouldn't need to do a sniffer test. OBDII testing is just a DLC hookup to see if there are no codes. Atleast that's how it is here.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I slapped a cat on after my ORY on my '95 and passed visual so you could try that some people may not pass you though because its not in the stock location.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

We used to take Cats, gut them, weld in a straight section to they "look" like they are there, but it still performed nice. We even took a Y-pipe, cut 2 Cats apart, and welded them on the Y-pipe and made it look like they were welded in. The car didn't need a Sniffer Test, but it looked good.
Here in Arkansas we don't need anything, but if I get stationed anywhere else that needs a visual, I am doing that, or keeping the Arkansas plates. 95 and back barely gets sniffed anywhere, it will look real good too with my 2007 Engine in it that doesn't even come factory with EGR either.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Come to Louisiana. We aint got **** for emissions. Woo-hoo!
Old 04-15-2007, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

I live in northwest Indiana and I hate the flipping emissions people... They are so strict to testing cars and if you got low profile tires on your car they **** them up on the sniffer test...Not to mention dumbasses work there...And figures i got emissions tomorrow! I have no clue how im even going to pass
Old 04-15-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28Caves60
I live in northwest Indiana and I hate the flipping emissions people... They are so strict to testing cars and if you got low profile tires on your car they **** them up on the sniffer test...Not to mention dumbasses work there...And figures i got emissions tomorrow! I have no clue how im even going to pass

keep us posted hehe
Old 04-16-2007, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

I have a 95 t/a with pacesetter long tubes and a ory andi live in california (witch is the worst place for emmision in the world) do you guys thing if i put two cat on my y pipe it would pass or should i just stick with one were the pipe comes together? would it pass clean with two ?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Two Cats might be a better idea there..
Make sure you bring the K-Y so it's easier on you when they screw you over..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone with emissions doing this....