Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help! steering column and bcm ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help! steering column and bcm ????

ok i got a 99z and plan on swapping out the column to a 2000-02 style with the steering radio controls it also comes with the keys and bcm ...my question is can just take mine out and plug the new one in and change the bcm to the one sent with the steering column and be ok? Reason im changing out my column is because i can get a newer one cheaper and i want radio controls too plus there something internally wrong with mine with the flashers and high beams so i just want to replace the whole thing .......anybody know if it would be ok ??? im thinking it would work the wiring should be the same in the plugs only the new wire from the steering radio control need to be hooked up to the headunit....am i right??
Old 04-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Yes, it will work - all 98-02 model Camaros used just a couple of BCMs. There were only two options that affected which BCM was used - keyless entry and the factory alarm system. Depending on what options were on the car that the BCM is coming from, you could lose one or both of those options when you install it in your car.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

so if the car i get the bcm from has factory alarm and keyless entry im ok and it wont affect nothing right, being i already have those as well
Old 04-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by CULATR
so if the car i get the bcm from has factory alarm and keyless entry im ok and it wont affect nothing right, being i already have those as well
Yes, that's correct. As long as the car you get the BCM from had those options then it doesn't matter what year it was.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool thanks abunch WhiteBird00