Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

S60's in .. have a few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 07:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default S60's in .. have a few Q's

S60, 3:73, true trac, 4 channel

So far I have put 75 break-in miles on it, in 3 different trips. I'm getting a pretty loud whine from 25 to 45. It progressively gets louder toward 45. Rolling up to 25 or cruising @ 55, I can't hear it above normal road/exhaust noise. Cruising at 40, it's difficult to even hear the radio.

Is it possible this whine may go away? If it doesn't, can the rear be re-shimmed or will it require a new gear set?
Old 04-15-2007, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

hey Junior glade to hear you got car rolling again, but hate to hear it is wining. im not a rear end person but have know lots of them and they all ways told me if its wining you are stuck with it, unless you put new gear set in and have it set up right. even with 75 miles on the car the gear wear pateren is set.

frist set of 4.10s i had in my car with the stock rear they wined like hell, was told it was cause of the brand i was useing witch was richmonds. and it being 4.10s they was going ot make noise. then i meet some one that use to be local and he told me the frist guy was full of ****. i then asked the new guy i meet if he reset up the gears for me told me it whould be worth it but if i wanted to pay him to do it he whould. so i was like ok, had him do it, and took it down road was a little better, but in 3 days time it was 10time louder than it was before he reset them. so i bought anouther rind and pion richmond gears again, took them to the guy he set it up and was dead quit threw break in and driveing for over 2 years, never had a problem. then i did the heads and cam and well never had a problem untill they broke LOL
Old 04-17-2007, 03:14 AM
10 Second Club

Update ..

The whine IS still there @ 55. With all the new susp. parts in there, I have a LOT to listen for. If I take my foot off the gas pedal, all whining stops .. it's definetly in the axle and NOT road noise!

I called Tbyrne, whom I bought it from (LS1tech GP), and they said to complete the 250 mile break-in and give them a call back.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

So.... the whatcha find out?