LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

water temp question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water temp question

what is a safe water temperature for an LT1?? Mine gets real hot but it never overheats for some reason. It has been as high as 225 and it ran fine and when i shut it off it had no overheating symptoms. It has an electric water pump and a big aluminum radiator(180 thermostat). I dont understand why it gets so hot?
Old 04-15-2007, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The stock primary fan on temp is something like 220-225.
You do understand a 180 stat is the stock temp?

Beyond that I think K.I.S.S. is something that needs to be repeated around here a LOT.

Keep It Simple Stupid, people cause themselves a lot of grief by replacing OEM parts just because they are OEM without bothering to learn that the OEM spends millions on R&D while the aftermarket spends millions on advertizing. Don't get me wrong the aftermarket has some good stuff I just think people don't give the stock stuff enough of a chance and endup spending money on the wrong area.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did not replace the thermostat bc it was OEM. I had a 160 thermostat in it and someone brought up the fact that i may need to go back to a 180 bc the water is not getting cooled well enough in the radiator to keep the motor cooled. The motor is in a 91 RS and has the stock fan that was in the 91. The fan runs all the time and so does the water pump. I was thinkin that maybe the water pump is spinning backwards. Other than that I have no idea what is making it run so hot. Oh and when I put the stock thermostat back in there it took longer for the car to get hot. But it still eventually got there.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Burning Rubber
what is a safe water temperature for an LT1?? Mine gets real hot but it never overheats for some reason. It has been as high as 225 and it ran fine and when i shut it off it had no overheating symptoms. It has an electric water pump and a big aluminum radiator(180 thermostat). I dont understand why it gets so hot?
they are designed to run at this temp from gm to give you the fuel mi. listed,less temps give more performance and less fuel economy,having said that on to the fix,totally flush the system,i add 1gallon of antifreeze,1 bottle of royal purple ICE,top off with water.get a performance chip,most of all i always add the dual fan set up.the factory radiators will work but i recommend an aftermarket like be-cool,griffin etc.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
they are designed to run at this temp from gm to give you the fuel mi. listed,less temps give more performance and less fuel economy,having said that on to the fix,totally flush the system,i add 1gallon of antifreeze,1 bottle of royal purple ICE,top off with water.get a performance chip,most of all i always add the dual fan set up.the factory radiators will work but i recommend an aftermarket like be-cool,griffin etc.
I have a griffin radiator and a big electric fan. but I have never tried to use royal purple ICE. So they are supposed to run 225??
Old 04-15-2007, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

is short yes...that is the factory programing from GM for you. My car does the same thing....but it never overheats.

Quick Reply: water temp question